Control Panel Design for PlasmaC

More
26 Sep 2020 18:03 - 26 Sep 2020 18:13 #183861 by pinder
Hi everyone, I designed GUI for plasma machines and @KCJ is developing the QTPYVCP for that. You can check that out here
Now, I wanted to share the idea for a physical controller along with the touch GUI.
I will share here design files, and specially sheet designs so that you can cut and make one.
I'll update the github links here.
Suggestions and criticisms are welcome.
Want any change just ask.
checkout the render
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Sep 2020 18:13 by pinder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2020 19:31 #183872 by pinder
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2020 19:49 #183874 by rodw
Looks like a couple of us had the same idea with Pinder's developing GUI. I've had this idea in my head for a long time.

15.6" monitor. Entry level is an Asus VT168 touch screen but there are industrial panels the same size available but they cost 6-7 times the price.

I had in mind the keyboard would be in a separate hook on arm that mounts to a similar upright post so it could be removed. You don't often need a keyboard and if the GUI is full featured with separate popup alpha and numeric data entry.

I need to make the mount to see if it actually works!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCJ, pinder

More
27 Sep 2020 00:00 #183903 by AgentWD40
How are you planning on connecting the buttons and knobs? Mesa card IO or something else that's connected to the computer through usb? It occurs to me the 7i96 will run out of IO pretty fast, there's always expansion cards.

...or arduinos!

More
27 Sep 2020 02:58 #183918 by pinder

Looks like a couple of us had the same idea with Pinder's developing GUI. I've had this idea in my head for a long time.

15.6" monitor. Entry level is an Asus VT168 touch screen but there are industrial panels the same size available but they cost 6-7 times the price.

I had in mind the keyboard would be in a separate hook on arm that mounts to a similar upright post so it could be removed. You don't often need a keyboard and if the GUI is full featured with separate popup alpha and numeric data entry.

I need to make the mount to see if it actually works!

Yeah thats what I was thinking if keyboard could removed altogether.
As the GUI is fully featured, thanks to Kurt.
Next time I'll remove the keyboard and move the the Switches to left or right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
27 Sep 2020 03:04 - 27 Sep 2020 03:24 #183919 by pinder

How are you planning on connecting the buttons and knobs? Mesa card IO or something else that's connected to the computer through usb? It occurs to me the 7i96 will run out of IO pretty fast, there's always expansion cards.

...or arduinos!

There are not much io needed for the moment
Because there are estop, pressure indicator, Plasma power and key switch.
If needed, this time i'll switch to Arduino or stm32 usb io. But thats the problem for some other day.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 03:24 by pinder.

More
27 Sep 2020 05:49 #183932 by rodw

I thought I'd run a 7i73 in the console. It supports 4 encoders, 22 inputs and 24 outputs and still connect to the 7i96 without consuming i/o.

I'd be tempted to use a 7i76e so I could run a 433 mHz wireless pendant like I do now. With the exception of the 7i73, all the other hardware and motor drives would be in a different enclosure. There would be a few ethernet cables to interconnect the two boxes. Ethernet, smart serial and probably a cable for estop. The Odroid has two UARTS onboard, so probably would run that to the control box and patch it out to the plasma cutter.

If we ran a safety relay in the main control box, we might be able to run the estop through the spare wires in the smart serial cable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pinder

More
27 Sep 2020 06:10 #183933 by pinder

I'd be tempted to use a 7i76e so I could run a 433 mHz wireless pendant like I do now.

which wireless pendent? XHC?

More
27 Sep 2020 06:13 - 27 Sep 2020 06:13 #183934 by pinder

if you want I can design a sheet metal box for your design which you can cut on plasma
Last edit: 27 Sep 2020 06:13 by pinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
27 Sep 2020 08:13 #183940 by rodw
Thanks, I am struggling trying to learn Fusion 360 at the moment. Its quite different to what I'm used to.

I've only got a couple more parts to draw and we'll be done aside from making sure the cutouts are all correct. I roughly drew a monitor today so I just need to make the monitor mount and the back.

I don't mind sharing the files when I get a bit further. If you use F360, maybe you can help I can share it. I think I can share it with other users.

The wireless pendant is from XHC but a more industrial version so it does not use USB. It has a hard wired receiver that plays with Mesa cards perfecctly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pinder

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds