Linuxcnc Press brake - Open Source

More
10 Oct 2020 10:45 #185588 by rodw

He meant for parts use 16mm.
Bending 16mm is another level where only a few dare to wander. :)

I have seen it done. My mate Buddy has one part from 16mm that requires a tight radius that can't be done so he slots the part when its laser cut, then backfills it with weld after folding (which leaves a nice V slot). That gives him full penetration of the weld for maximum strength. A competitor does it in two pieces with the parts offset so there is a fillet weld each side but its not as strong (less penetration) and has been known to break..

Clive,I think it would be asking a bit much to make a bake out of 12 mm but with tab and slot bracing maybe it can be done. There is DIY a design kicking around (on pirate4x4 I think) that has a single hydraulic ram and a lever/cam design to drop the top punch. A few also make make laminated V tooling for the lower die with a plasma cutter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2020 11:07 #185590 by rodw
Here you go

Not Shown: Ram on the right plus an adjustable tractor drawbar linkage across the top
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joco, pinder

More
10 Oct 2020 11:45 #185594 by BeagleBrainz

I would stay at 1M wide in respect to us in the oldest continent.

That maybe so but we have world's largest single rock monolith and largest population of feral camels.

Oh yeah we also had a war with emus....and lost
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
10 Oct 2020 12:27 #185597 by rodw

Oh yeah we also had a war with emus....and lost

This is true. I still remember scratching for gears in an old motorbike with old man emu snapping at my ass. I swear that long neck looked like a rifle barrel! All becasue I got a bit too close to his nest filled with her chicks, But heck I laughed the next day after I discretely ensured my brother followed the same line I had. Old man Emu was more than pissed by then. I thought he nearly had my bro!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
10 Oct 2020 13:11 #185601 by Clive S
Rod wrote:

Clive,I think it would be asking a bit much to make a bake out of 12 mm but with tab and slot bracing maybe it can be done. There is DIY a design kicking around (on pirate4x4 I think) that has a single hydraulic ram and a lever/cam design to drop the top punch. A few also make make laminated V tooling for the lower die with a plasma cutter.

I agree. I was thinking that you wanted it to bend 16mm.

This is one my mate is building all cut out with PlasmaC
I think it is 100 box with 10mm wall

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03, pinder

More
10 Oct 2020 15:42 #185613 by pinder
[2]
ram has linear encoder ?
or endstops move up and down?

More
10 Oct 2020 16:17 #185618 by Clive S

[2]
ram has linear encoder ?
or endstops move up and down?

This is a work in progress. I am sure it could be cnc'd

More
10 Oct 2020 16:28 #185620 by Mike_Eitel
Sorry, but if you do not have the material precisely in the middle it will not press square. With three cylinders parallel connected this constrution will move that cylinder the longest way witch has the lessest force to fight.
m5c
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
10 Oct 2020 21:15 #185633 by Joco
Like the look of that cam based brake. Also seems like a design that could be scalable as well. Perhaps modelling that up and creating an open source design could be a good option? Something that can progress alongside the lcnc developments?

More
10 Oct 2020 21:18 #185634 by Clive S

Sorry, but if you do not have the material precisely in the middle it will not press square. With three cylinders parallel connected this constrution will move that cylinder the longest way witch has the lessest force to fight.
m5c
Mike

Yes I had thought that as well. How do the presses work with a ram at each side as that would have the same problem.

I don't have any experience with this sort of stuff.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds