Beginners Question on Ethernet with Mesa

More
18 Dec 2020 01:25 #192291 by Bernard B
Hi I possibly got off on the wrong foot.
I have no need at all to run the CNC and internet at the same time. Just CNC (Mesa) is fine. But I need to get back to that.

There is only one Ethernet port on my pc. I got mesa running on it, and what I think happened is that i plugged in the internet cable to see if it would work also.

I certainly don't need the two at the same time (meas and internet). In fact there is no physical way of doing that.

I have no need for internet to this PC, in fact I regret plugging it in as it seems to be what 'threw' my connection to Mesa settings.

At this juncture im looking for a way that will work Mesa only.
Looking for a well beaten track if possible.
Happy to re-install everything if it saves a lot of explaining! I presume a fresh install of 2.8 , and keep the internet ethernet cable far away from the port will work?

Bernard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2020 01:34 #192293 by PCW
I would just re-setup the Ethernet port with the network manager for
the Mesa static IP address

There is no need to re-install anything

You can verify the connections with the command
ip a

With network manager its possible to have internet and a real time port
coexist (which is what most people tend to do)

More
18 Dec 2020 03:05 #192296 by JohnnyCNC
I find having two connection quite handy. One goes to the Mesa card and the other is used for updates from the internet. I also connect from one of my other machines that I do my CAD/CAM work on to post GCode files to LinuxCNC The PC that I run LinuxCNC has two Ethernet ports on it so it was a little easier to setup.

More
18 Dec 2020 04:09 #192299 by thefabricator03
As long as you have a spare USB port you can add another Ethernet port for internet.

Attachments:

More
18 Dec 2020 16:51 #192348 by Todd Zuercher
Having a 2nd Ethernet or wifi connection may not be needed for the internet, but it is very handy, for moving machining/g-code files from your CAD/CAM work station to your CNC machine.

More
18 Dec 2020 17:55 #192358 by tommylight

Having a 2nd Ethernet or wifi connection may not be needed for the internet, but it is very handy, for moving machining/g-code files from your CAD/CAM work station to your CNC machine.

For that Linux Mint 20 has a nice added feature named "Warpinator" that is used to send files from one PC to another, it can be set to run at startup and to accept files without waiting for permission, so i have it set on all the PC's and laptops and just send files to where i need them to be.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds