Interesting Youtube Video

More
18 Jul 2024 21:53 #305599 by my1987toyota
So I had seen this video on Youtube. The poster probably should have titled it "Help Save The Future of Open Source".

Thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2024 22:18 #305600 by tommylight
As luck would have, i had seen this today, he makes a lot of good points and some near misses.
Luck, as a while back (probably 6 or more months ago) i had removed him from my watch list as he went on a tangent several times thinking he is the "chosen one", but i am glad he behaved with this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
19 Jul 2024 01:41 #305603 by my1987toyota
One thing is for sure, if their was no open source, companies like Apple and Windows would be far worse then they
are now. I still remember here in the states the United States Postal Service wanted people to pay just to send an email
because they felt that email would destroy there revenue stream because they wouldn't be selling the amount of stamps
they used to.

More
19 Jul 2024 05:08 #305609 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Interesting Youtube Video

United States Postal Service wanted people to pay just to send an email
because they felt that email would destroy there revenue stream because they wouldn't be selling the amount of stamps
they used to.

Well they were not wrong!

More
19 Jul 2024 10:59 #305637 by tommylight
BLENDER!!!
During the pandemic, some youtuber close to movie industry got pissed at them for not crediting the use of Blender in movies so he made a video detailing every scene he could find info on where Blender was used in high production cost movies and series, about two weeks later Blender got a huge donation from Nvidia, then from everyone else.
And yes, all of them tried to buy Blender but Tom the owner would not budge.
They finally got an office to work in.
Then came Open AI, now already Closed AI, all because they were hosted on MicroShaft servers. That was a huge mistake that can not be fixed, ever.
Till that Blender thing happened, open source was considered "homeless stinky bum" that became Cinderella or Snow White or...
And do not get me started on Micros#it using Linux stuff in Windoze since W2K got the networking from Linux impaled into it. Win10 has so much Linux stuff in it....

More
19 Jul 2024 11:48 #305641 by rodw
Windows Blue Screen of Death has taken down Systems all round the world today.. Airports, Banks and even our newspaper will be delayed in the morning. Glad I banned windows...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Grotius, my1987toyota

More
19 Jul 2024 11:49 #305642 by my1987toyota

rodw post=305609 userid=20660

Well they were not wrong!

True. However the USPS contributed absolutely nothing into the creation of email. In my opinion they were just whining that they
would no longer have a total monopoly over the mail.

tommylight. Yeah and I am sure Win11 is far worse.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Jul 2024 13:12 #305646 by tommylight

Windows Blue Screen of Death has taken down Systems all round the world today.. Airports, Banks and even our newspaper will be delayed in the morning. Glad I banned windows...

Yeah, got in my car today to go grab a coffee and check some work we did yesterday, radio kept going on about this but no mention of windows failure was mentioned at all.
-
One of the Mars rovers/vehicles was using a stripped down version of W2K as MS payed a lot of money to Nasa counting on success and using that as a selling point, it never ever reported back, not a single beep! 2 billion down the drain. Even that was never properly reported.
-
On the other side, a few years back i watched a satellite/spaceship built by some students, it spent 3.5 years in hibernation till it got to where it was supposed to, then turn on, extend solar panels, check if batteries are charging and if yes turn on thrusters, find orientation, locate earth and turn antenna towards earth, turn on transmitter and send a signal that it is ready to accept commands. The ONLY hiccup: it was about a minute late!
It was using Linux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius, my1987toyota

More
19 Jul 2024 16:51 #305661 by my1987toyota
this video should help explain.

More
20 Jul 2024 10:47 #305691 by rodw
I got a call from a mate today asking if I could help him set up Linux on his PC as a direct result of the cloudstrike meltdown. SO of course I helped him out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Grotius, my1987toyota

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds