root password

More
01 Apr 2015 20:49 #57376 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:root password
Having got root access you can add yourself to the sudoers list, then carry on as in Ubuntu, for some reason the default image does not do this

wiki.debian.org/sudo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2015 21:07 #57378 by johnl2
Replied by johnl2 on topic Re:root password
Thank you very much for getting back to me so fast. I figured it out, I created a password for root and it works. But now I want to move a file from my desktop to grub.d and it's still not letting me! Any idea on how to do this?

John

More
01 Apr 2015 21:17 #57381 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:root password
If you do it as root it will work.

Either create an entry in /etc/sudoers as per the link and use sudo or open a root terminal and do it in that.

Or just open a terminal and enter
su root, give the password and then you are root for that terminal session

regards

More
01 Apr 2015 21:35 #57382 by johnl2
I did the su root, gave password, but I don't know how to move it from the desktop to grub.d. I tried and it told me that there is no such file as 07_rtai. I'm on it now trying, hopefully you'll still be here. . .

Thanks so much,

John

More
01 Apr 2015 21:38 #57383 by johnl2
Ok, so I checked out the link, but it said 'john' is already a member of 'sudo'. So that's figured out, now how to move this file! It will not let me drag it and it tells me that it does not exist when I try to do it via terminal. But I am fairly new to linux, so I am definitely doing something wrong.

Thanks again,

John

More
01 Apr 2015 21:42 #57385 by johnl2
I opened up the properties of grub.d and it says group: root, access: read only. How would I change that to write? It does not let me click the option bar.

John

More
01 Apr 2015 22:03 #57388 by johnl2
Nevermind, I did it. I was inputting the wrong directory. Instead of using /home/john/Desktop/07_rtai, I was inputting /desktop/07_rtai.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly with your help, I really appreciate it and all of you moderators.

John

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds