New machine, after update CNC gone

More
27 Oct 2012 17:05 #25877 by Soundreflections
I have decided to buy a new cheap machine for CNC, as I am having problems with my "lying arround" machines.

Firstly I kept getting the "busybox" prompt, saying it can't find a filesystem. The solution was to use USB adaptors on my DVD and Hard drives, then switch to internal SATA after update/upgrade.

Now I have the help files, but no programs in my "applications/CNC". How can I get CNC back?

Thanks
Peet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2012 17:23 #25878 by Soundreflections
I have now re-enabled linuxcnc in the repository, trying to install linuxcnc always gets me the error that there are broken packages, I do not get this error otherwise.

should I re-format and begin again?

More
27 Oct 2012 19:02 #25879 by BigJohnT
Are you using an old LiveCD to install LinuxCNC with. The current one fixes some errors that occurred during the install. The iso file name should have a 3 in it.

For old computers download and use the 8.04 LiveCD.

John

More
27 Oct 2012 19:15 #25880 by Soundreflections
Hi John,

At first I thought the CD, which was fine, may be broken, so I downloaded ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386.iso this morning. All the packages were there, I ran the latency test while upgrading, after restart it was gone.

It seems the update procedure disabled and removed it, so I re-enabled the repository, edited it to match the notice on the forum and reloaded.

Now I can select linuxcnc in synaptic, but it shows an immediate error that I can't fix.

More
27 Oct 2012 19:27 #25881 by Soundreflections
I am just going to re-install, then update, not upgrade to the latest LTS.

Will see how that works.

More
27 Oct 2012 19:39 - 27 Oct 2012 19:39 #25882 by BigJohnT
If you upgraded Ubuntu that will break everything!

You can upgrade anything but the operating system.

John
Last edit: 27 Oct 2012 19:39 by BigJohnT.

More
27 Oct 2012 19:56 #25883 by Soundreflections
Thanks,

I now have re-installed, about to update.

I have read that one should not upgrade to anything but a LTS, this was to 10.4.1 LTS, so I assumed it OK. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help!

More
27 Oct 2012 21:00 #25886 by Soundreflections
I now have a new problem. My main board (MSI H61M-P20 (G3))'s SATA ports don't work on Linux, unless I do the upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS.

I can only run with a USB/serial adaptor on my HDD.

Please help - how can I update the main drivers without loosing CNC again?

I have updated all packages, Synaptic and Update manager assure me my system is up to date, but 12.04.1 LTS is available for upgrade.

More
27 Oct 2012 21:33 #25887 by ArcEye
Hi

My main board (MSI H61M-P20 (G3))'s SATA ports don't work on Linux, unless I do the upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS.

What is the name of driver which supports the SATA controller on your board under 12.04?

There are dozens of links to that board on the Ubuntu forums but none obviously giving this info.

It might be possible to build it for 10.04, otherwise you are stuck with just running a simulator on 12.04

regards

More
27 Oct 2012 22:59 #25892 by Soundreflections
Hi,

How can I find out? I am not that good with Linux yet. I know that upgrading to 12.04.1 solves the problem, so Linux can handle the controllers. Maybe there is a way to find out what module it is and update that specific module?

Thanks
Peet

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds