linuxcnc 2.5 upgrade on 8.04 hardy offline

More
13 Oct 2014 00:11 #51980 by cmtunnel
I'm having trouble getting my 5i25+7i77 pc running. I think i need to install 2.5 on the machine to configure the mesa card but the pc is not online. Been trying the last day & a half to get those files on a usb to upgrade the hardy live installation. I couldn't load wxwigets so the usb software would work. using ubuntu 10.10 on a laptop to get the info but it won't install curl.......which is needed to install widgets and on and on. Ten new steps for every one i take. Is it really this hard to get some info on a usb stick with linux?? please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2014 16:10 #52000 by cncbasher
a hardy installation is now not supported , i would take a leap and upgrade to the latest
because sooner or later your going to have to , it may of course mean you need to change hardware or motherboard
as i dont know what your using at the moment .

it would be far better to move the pc to have access to the internet when upgrading or installing
why not install the latest hybrid.iso which has version 2.6.3 , that should install from a usb stick

More
13 Oct 2014 21:19 #52027 by cmtunnel
I need a way to get this pc working with a 5i25+7177. Are you saying that it won't work? I intend to get a new pc soon for all this but i'd really like to see the machine up and running with what i have for now. Just got a usb wireless to see if I can get the pc online. Hopefully that will help. Let me know what you think.

More
13 Oct 2014 22:04 #52030 by PCW
Your existing PC may or may not work depending on whether it works with
a much newer linux version (and can boot from a USB stick or DVD )
You probably will just have to try (back up your config files first)

More
13 Oct 2014 22:06 #52031 by cmtunnel
I don't really understand how the hardy isn't possible. There are instructions on linuxcnc.org for doing exactly what i want to do and a file to do it with. Any suggestions?

More
13 Oct 2014 22:31 #52032 by ArcEye
Hi

I produced some zips to do just this on a specific small computer some years back.
It would only run 8.04, because it was uni-processor and very limited memory and processor power

They are still on my site

mgware.co.uk/CNC/NCBOX/manual/commands.txt
is the instructions

You haven't actually said what you want to upgrade from, so these are both zips, which allow upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5

mgware.co.uk/CNC/NCBOX/manual/2.3-to-2.4.7-upgrade.tar.gz

mgware.co.uk/CNC/NCBOX/manual/2.4.7-to-2.5-upgrade.tar.gz

I have not used them in a while, but they worked perfectly well last time I tried, you will just need to add the latest 2.5 version, when I did this it was 2.5.2 I think.

regards

More
13 Oct 2014 23:09 #52040 by cncbasher

I don't really understand how the hardy isn't possible. There are instructions on linuxcnc.org for doing exactly what i want to do and a file to do it with. Any suggestions?

we are not saying it's not possible , what we are saying is 8.04 hardy is essentially end of life from 2.6 onwards , so just beware that to be up to date with linuxcnc and have some of the newer features , at some point your going to need to perhaps upgrade something along the way ,

and the fact you said you did not have internet access makes upgrading a bit more of a challenge ,

More
14 Oct 2014 02:21 #52065 by cmtunnel
Thank you for your input. I was able to get 10.04 loaded somehow. It wouldn't work before which is why i used hardy......go figure. So, now i have the machine doing the latency test....looks good. Im wondering if there is a step by step instruction from this point. I won't be near the machine till tomorrow but wondering where to start/finish with configuring the pc. I'm using the mesa 5i25+7i77 with brushed servos. I'll start going through the documentation but any help to move this along is appreciated.

More
14 Oct 2014 15:26 #52076 by cncbasher
simple enough use pncconf to produce a working file , then if you need to modify it , edit by hand
make sure the field power is powered up before the pc , or you'll find gpio pins are missing

More
23 Oct 2014 00:29 #52291 by mtngun
Wow. I had been running 8.04/2.5/P4 on a lathe and was delighted with it. B)

Then the hard drive conked out. No problem, I thought, I had a spare hard drive and was able to save most of the critical Linuxcnc config files before the old hard drive ceased functioning all together.

So I installed 8.04 on the new hard drive, attempted to update to 2.5 and no joy. Apparently those Hardy repositories are no longer available? :S

Following the advice here to forget about 8.04 and move on, I gave Wheezy a whirl on a live USB. Latency 222,571. WTF?

I know the official response is that I'm supposed to upgrade my hardware but money is tight and the P4 was a good machine with 8.04/2.5.

For now I'll try running 2.3 or whatever came standard with 8.04. Maybe eventually I'll have time to give Arceye's 2.4 & 2.5 patches a whirl. I'm kinda bummed. :(

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds