Problem installing on Jetway NF99FL-525

More
15 Dec 2014 23:30 #54025 by richardb
Okay, I'll have more time to test this later, but my first pass on this didn't work: same problem with both versions as before: the system halts part way through the process.

I'll try doing a clean install later on to try this again: it is possible i messed something up while I was trying this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2014 07:58 #54048 by richardb
Update: I reinstalled and had the same problem: the system halted when booting up.

However, I was able to get around this if I booted with the network disconnected. If I then reconnected the network cable after it was booted and logged in, it worked fine (typing this on the system now). When I do things this way around, the network connects properly at full 1GBPs.

So, I would assume that there is something else that is going on here: perhaps the network initialization is the thing that fails, or there is something else that needs to be loaded before the network can initialize properly?

So, I am running now, but would love to get this sorted: having to disconnect the network when booting up is a kind of a pain in the bum. Let me know what you might need to help sort this out!

More
16 Dec 2014 20:20 #54062 by ArcEye
Hi

That is very weird!

There are obviously huge problems with this NIC, this link gives a flavour, there are a huge number of other posts re problems
Even if it starts it can throttle connections and crash suddenly with no apparent reason.
blog.krisk.org/2013/02/packets-of-death.html

I would be interested to see the full dmesg after you have booted without the ethernet cable attached and then connect it.
I suspect however it will just show what you would expect the first time around.

I cannot find anything directly matching this problem.

I would try a few things though

Boot with a RJ45 lead in the socket but not connected to anything, if OK will tend to eliminate a problem with the socket
Boot with router booted and try again with it switched off. Not quite sure what it might prove if latter OK, but might point to something in the DCHP negotiation.

If this board had a PCIe mini socket, I would just say to buy a £10 realtek card and forget it, but looks as though you just have a PCI slot and headers for ports.

The big question is why does it work with the stock pae kernel and not with the rtai one, even if you use a driver compiled from the kernel code that worked?

I have not heard anything from the developer who built the kernel, he may be away, I may post on the developers list in case anyone has further ideas

Post the dmesg anyway

regards

More
16 Dec 2014 22:32 #54066 by richardb
Yikes, that is scary stuff. Definitely sounds like this adapter has a series of problems that I am not aware of, which make it a poor pick for a CNC machine. I don't want my system suddenly shutting down halfway through a cut because it received a random packet.

I guess I'll rethink using this board and see what else I can find.

I'll send you the dmesg later today so you can debug further if you want, but I think I'll look for another system to use here.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds