How to Install Debian 8.2 "Jessie" and LinuxCNC2.7

More
08 Feb 2016 22:43 - 11 Feb 2016 14:39 #69791 by PCW
Depends on the hardware, in my experience Preempt-RT has similar latency to RTAI on fast hardware
(Sandy bridge range) and significantly worse latency that RTAI on slow hardware ( Intel Atoms etc )
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 14:39 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2016 23:15 - 09 Feb 2016 00:42 #69793 by vre
RTAI linuxcnc will be available for jessie i386 or amd64 ?
repos here are empty
linuxcnc.org/dists/jessie/2.7-rtai/
Last edit: 09 Feb 2016 00:42 by vre.

More
09 Feb 2016 03:05 #69813 by jepler
Unfortunately, subsequent to the original announcement of an RTAI kernel that works on Debian Jessie, we found that the kernels (32- and 64-bit) both regularly crash the buildbot system. (buildbot is both our continuous integration system as well as our package building system) so those "builders" have been disabled until someone comes up with a solution.

As a result, we aren't able to offer pre-built linuxcnc packages for those configurations at the moment.

It is not clear whether this problem affects "real" systems, because in our buildbot, each OS we build for is running virtualized (by qemu, I think). So at the moment you can download the kernel images from us as .deb packages, but you'll need to do your own (RIP) build of LinuxCNC. To me, it looked a little bit like the error might only occur when running as a VM on a very overloaded host, but I don't know for certain and I haven't installed this kernel on a non-virtual system (or even a virtual one for that matter)

More
09 Feb 2016 09:08 #69827 by Amedee
Interesting...
So far, my Jessie/RTAI is stable and never crashed, but apart from running latency tests and configuring LinuCNC I haven't done any real work with it as I'm learning LinuxCNC and building my router at the same time...

More
11 Feb 2016 14:33 #69992 by vre

Interesting...
So far, my Jessie/RTAI is stable and never crashed, but apart from running latency tests and configuring LinuCNC I haven't done any real work with it as I'm learning LinuxCNC and building my router at the same time...

From which repo have you downloaded-intalled jessie/rtai ?

More
11 Feb 2016 14:53 - 11 Feb 2016 14:53 #69994 by Amedee

From which repo have you downloaded-intalled jessie/rtai ?

I posted what I did here ...
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 14:53 by Amedee.

More
11 Feb 2016 15:58 #69997 by mstrick96
As Inunderstand it, Jessie's kernel is not real time. Doesn't this mean the latency is going to be too high?

I I have LinuxCNC running well on Jessie now, but only with the standard kernel. When I replaced the kernel with the real time kernel from Wheezy, it didn't work well with my wifi.

Does anyone have a real time kernel running well on Jessie with LinuxCNC?

More
11 Feb 2016 17:13 #70001 by Amedee
Same answer than my post above ;)

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds