Fatal Errors Installing on Parallels.

More
08 Feb 2016 20:07 #69779 by ned7
I'm trying to install the 2.7.3/Wheezy image on a Parallels virtual machine. My only interest is in running simulations. No hardware is connected to the Mac running Parallels, and I'll never attempt to do that--there's a PC running Wheezy natively out in the garage.

So on the Mac latency problems just don't matter, but they give me fatal errors on starting up LinuxCNC. The log complains of "unexpected realtime delay" & LinuxCNC aborts.

Is it possible to configure LinuxCNC to avoid this problem? If the fix is easier using Ubuntu rather than Debian, I can do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2016 20:50 #69783 by andypugh
I think the problem is something else. Can you look in the dmesg log?

An unexpected delay does not cause LinuxCNC to exit. I do lots of LinuxCNC work in VMs on my Mac, albeit with VMWare Fusion rather than parallels, and it all works just fine.

Which configs are you trying to use? Are you running the sim configs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ned7

More
10 Feb 2016 04:11 #69908 by ned7
I've attached the error log I get when I try to start 2.7.3 directly, so that I can select a sim config.

Thank you for the questions--I tried a number of things and get the same kind of result.

I will be grateful for any insights you have.
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2016 05:53 #69912 by jepler
This line indicates that the user interface program is crashing, but doesn't indicate much about why:

/usr/bin/linuxcnc: line 857: 4245 Segmentation fault $EMCDISPLAY -ini "$INIFILE" $EMCDISPLAYARGS $EXTRA_ARGS

check whether other OpenGL software works in your virtual machine (glxgears is a good choice), OR try a different UI such as tklinuxcnc that doesn't use OpenGL for display.

More
10 Feb 2016 15:58 #69932 by ned7

This line indicates that the user interface program is crashing, but doesn't indicate much about why:

/usr/bin/linuxcnc: line 857: 4245 Segmentation fault $EMCDISPLAY -ini "$INIFILE" $EMCDISPLAYARGS $EXTRA_ARGS

check whether other OpenGL software works in your virtual machine (glxgears is a good choice), OR try a different UI such as tklinuxcnc that doesn't use OpenGL for display.

glxgears runs without error.

tklinuxcnc with the servo-sim config also seems to work.

I'd like to use axis so that I've got a visual simulation.

More
10 Feb 2016 16:12 #69933 by andypugh

I'd like to use axis so that I've got a visual simulation.

You may need to do something with the display compatibility settings in Parallels (assuming there are some, I haven't ever used it).

Alternatively software opengl might be a solution. (with the caveat that this is a very old Wiki page and might be very outdated)
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...oftware_based_OpenGL

More
10 Feb 2016 16:13 #69934 by ned7
Have upped the VM's RAM to 2G (my usual allocation for a VM) from 768M. No effect.

Updated to 2.7.4. No effect.

Debug file information:
/usr/bin/linuxcnc: line 857: 9415 Segmentation fault $EMCDISPLAY -ini "$INIFILE" $EMCDISPLAYARGS $EXTRA_ARGS

More
10 Feb 2016 16:37 #69937 by ned7
Parallels doesn't offer much to tweak for the display.

Increased display memory from 128M to 256M. No effect.

Turned off 3D acceleration. No effect.

Disabled vertical synchronization. No effect.

Reverted all display parameters to previous values: 128M, 3D acceleration on, vertical sync enabled.

New error log attached.
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2016 16:45 #69940 by ned7
Installed software-based OpenGL using

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11

No effect. Seg error at the same line number.

More
10 Feb 2016 19:07 #69949 by ned7
I've put a fair amount of time and effort into this without success.

Andy mentioned that he runs LinuxCNC axis sim on VMWare Fusion. I can take a hint. Right now I'm using a trial of Fusion, but I will definitely be buying it. Remains to be seen whether I replace Parallels (which is excellent, other than this one problem) or run both.

If anyone gets LinuxCNC axis running on Parallels, I'd like to know about it. If you're just trying to get it running, use Fusion.

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds