compile error on Kubuntu 16.04

More
15 Apr 2016 22:02 - 15 Apr 2016 22:07 #73374 by halbritt

Hi,
Thanks for the patch.
I don't know why I didn't get this problem when compiling LinuxCNC myself ?
BTW, does your Preempt kernel work good for you ?
I have compiled several preempt kernels this past year, and always get some desktop freezes ( 10 to 15 seconds duration ) happening a couple of times in an hour.
All my machining work well, but that's pretty annoying.
I am not at all a computer expert, so I am wondering if I do something wrong with my kernel config.
Would you post your kernel config, please, so that I can give a try at it ?
Thanks,
Chris

I have no idea how well these are going to work as I'm in the process of learning all of this. I've a little homemade CNC router a friend gave me that I'll used to test this on, but my main goal is to learn the whole ecosystem so that I could potentially build any tool I like.

In any case, I have a couple computers that I've been working on. Both running Ubuntu 16.04 with 4.4.6 and preempt_rt patch, rt13 and now rt14. The first is a server running one Xeon x5667 (4 HT cores, 3ghz). The other is an industrial computer running a Celeron J1900 (4 non-HT cores at 2ghz). One obviously has a great deal more processor power, the other is more modern, has plenty of power for what it is and most of all is small, quiet, and consumes around 10w or so.

I had the Xeon running RT13 with 40ns and 60ns jitter for servo and base thread respectively. Compiled RT14 with full dynticks and got 400ns and 600ns jitter on the Celeron and 150ns and 200ns on the Xeon. Reverted my config and was able to get around 40ns and 60ns again on the Xeon. Put the same kernel back on the Celeron and I'm getting the same results with an occasional spike that I'll need to look into. Boot command line looks like this:

halbritt@declension:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.4.6-rt14 root=/dev/mapper/declension--vg-root ro CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL=y idle=mwait nohz_full=1-3 isolcpus=1-3 selinux=0 audit=0

.config is attached as "config.txt"

File Attachment:

File Name: config.txt
File Size:182 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 22:07 by halbritt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds