General questions on best method for installing Linuxcnc for software stepping.

More
04 Jan 2017 15:44 - 04 Jan 2017 15:45 #85221 by MDM3D
Now keep in mind I probably screwed something up but when I finally got the dev tools installed and got the millkins.c to compile linuxcnc would not launch. I modified the .hal file to chancge trivkins to millkins_xyz and added the setp parameters. Linuxcnc still would not launch.
So then I rolled back to 2.7.8. removed millkins_xyx.ko and that got me up and running again.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2017 15:45 by MDM3D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2017 15:47 #85222 by andypugh
What error did you get?

Where did you get your millkins from, and how did you install it?

More
04 Jan 2017 16:05 #85225 by MDM3D
So I tried to follow the method based on this page
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Contri...y_XY_skew_correction
I downloaded the latest dev image using the instructions on build bot
I then used

sudo halcompile --install millkins_xyz.c

This appeared to compile without errors but it was fast so I might have missed a prompt.
Then I tried launching linuxcnc it stated a message that it was going to reconfigure my config files to support joints and axies. After it did that linucnc crashed and if i remember correctly the error seemed to be about millikins_xyz not letting the math stepgen and a bunch of other files to open because of an "argument error" when I get home from work I'll try it again and post the entire error log file.
This error did not change when I changed trivkins to millkins_xyz.
Then I copied the millkins_xyz.ko file and saved it so that when I downgraded back to 2.7.8 I could try it out and if I recall correctly the error log read very similarly.

More
04 Jan 2017 16:28 - 04 Jan 2017 16:30 #85227 by andypugh
That process was somewhat confused by the fact that you also switched to the new version of LinuxCNC which has a different layout for the HAL and INI files.

You should only need the millkis.c file from that Wiki page, and should have been able to compile and install it with halcompile without any need to get the latest development version of linuxcnc.

if you need the millkins_xyz version, then download that file instead, but follow the instructions for millkins (except for the filename).
Last edit: 04 Jan 2017 16:30 by andypugh.

More
04 Jan 2017 16:31 #85228 by MDM3D
I wish that was the case but when I tried skipping that step linux would reply with something to the effect of unknown command halcompile once I installed the dev version halcompile worked.

More
04 Jan 2017 16:46 #85233 by andypugh
linuxcnc-dev is a package that you get from Synaptic that adds some development tools.
It is _not_ the same thing as the development version of LinuxCNC. (which you can get from the buildbot)

More
04 Jan 2017 16:51 #85235 by MDM3D
yes but it was really weird, my linuxcnc-dev package was already updated from the beginning when I first installed linuxcnc but the halcompile command would not work. I tried everything I could think of including compiling from source until I finally gave up and tried using the build bot image once I did that halcompile worked. I have absolutely no clue as to why that made it happy but I am very new to linux so I'm probably off by 6 inches the 6 between my ears.

More
04 Jan 2017 17:05 #85237 by andypugh

yes but it was really weird, my linuxcnc-dev package was already updated from the beginning when I first installed linuxcnc but the halcompile command would not work.

Maybe you were using a 2.6 version when "halcompile" was called "comp" ?

More
04 Jan 2017 17:11 #85239 by MDM3D
Tried that to and nothing. Same unknown command error. I have a hunch that the problem lies within the fact that I am using linux mint and it had a lot of packages that I need to manually install in order for linuxcnc-master to install without complint but it doesn't make sense as dev tools appeared to be updated before I did all of that updating.

More
06 Jan 2017 05:38 #85325 by MDM3D
Ok from my current state of 2.7.8 when I run sudo halcompile the terminal returns "command not found".
I didn't attempt updating to the dev version because I was running a very long part (8 Hours) that I modified in cad so that it would come out square. After I measure it in the morning and verify that it came out correctly then I'll upgrade and post the files(assuming it doesn't work).
on the plus side the part appears to be running nicely.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds