Intallation freeze (detecting linc eth0)

More
08 Oct 2017 00:36 #100062 by andypugh
Which ISO are you using? You could try an older one (and upgrade) or a newer one (and explore the bleeding edge)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2017 13:55 - 08 Oct 2017 13:56 #100079 by DanWah
I've tried several iso:s. The latest one is the one giving the "eth0 not ready" massage. And I've also tried a two different versions each of the 8.04 and 10.04 versions. Plus an even older one. None of these worked either, with different freeze up points during installation.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2017 13:56 by DanWah.

More
08 Oct 2017 14:44 #100081 by PCW
If 8.04 and 10.04 don't work on a 10 year old system, It may be that you have hardware problems

More
08 Oct 2017 15:55 #100082 by DanWah
Yes, I'm also starting to believe it is some kind of hardware problem. I tried yet another older ISO-file. And the installation again freezes at "loading hardware drivers". So there is probably some kind of hardware not recognized.

More
08 Oct 2017 16:38 #100085 by DanWah
Back again, yet with more questions! :) I removed the graphics card and found it called "Winfast PX8500 GT TDH" I thought maybe linux does not have a suitable driver for this card? Thought this might be the hardware driver issue. I've googled this card and found that I can download linux driver for it. But now is the thing that I don't have a clue how I should install this driver in order for the linux installation to find it? Or can I somehow interrupt the installation in order to point to this driver or something like this?

More
08 Oct 2017 16:50 #100086 by DanWah
Seems like I was a bit too fast. I don't even find linux drivers for this card. Anyone heard about it? And know where to find it?

More
09 Oct 2017 21:08 #100129 by andypugh
Does the machine have built-in graphics, or does it need the card?

Have you had any success with a plain (non-linuxcnc) ISO?

Have you tried this (experimental) one:
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...-uspace-amd64-r8.iso
(Might not work if your PC is old enough not to be 64-bit)

More
10 Oct 2017 07:36 #100136 by InMyDarkestHour
In essence it's a Nvidia card.....but there does seem to be people having issues with this card.

Would suggest trawling the ubuntu forums regarding the card.

Out of interest what kind of motherboard are you using ?

Another thing that is useful is getting the output of lspci, it'll help identify your hardware. As PCW said it could very well be a hardware issue. Any chance of being able to disable the onboard nic and trying another NIC ?

More
12 Oct 2017 23:30 #100306 by andypugh
Have you had any luck with any Debian or Ubuntu installer?

Does the machine have onboard graphics you could use instead?

I found a cheap all-in-one on eBay that gives great latency with preempt-RT and has a parport, 2x PCI and PCI-E if buying another PC is an option.

More
15 Oct 2017 19:09 #100408 by DanWah
Thank you all for your tips and help, I really appreciate it! I have been travelling, so unfortunately I haven't been able to try anything else at all yet. I have not tried any "pure" Debian or Ubuntu installer. I will start with trying the "experimental" ISO from the link above.

And unfortunately there is no onboard graphics to test. My whole cnc-project is very low-budget so I was hoping to be able to use this old laid off computer together with an open source software. Another PC might be an option, but in that case I think I will first try with another old, used, computer. Could be bought really cheap. And maybe I even bring my boot up USB to try it before bying as well :)

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds