Ubuntu Xenial LTS Repository

More
16 Jan 2018 23:47 #104586 by lamandesigns
You need to go to your updates settings and make sure sources is checked. Then do a sudo apt update

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2018 00:17 #104587 by szechyjs
Ah, yes 32bit would definitely be the problem. My goal with this repo was to have easy install packages for modern Ubuntu, which seemed to be lacking, as precise is the latest build on buildbot, and was end of lifed nearly a year ago. Buildbot also only seems to have 32bit builds for most of the systems. I only plan to build x86_64 binaries for this repo, as I personally haven't used a 32bit machine in nearly 10 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lamandesigns

More
07 Feb 2018 08:35 - 07 Feb 2018 08:38 #105519 by ted1735
Thank you for the directions. These are also here with more detail if interested:

Build Dependencies - linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/buildi...g-Build-Dependencies

I am on a 32bit chroot and had to go the long way as outlined above. I installed all the missing dependencies and then re-ran dpkg-checkbuilddeps and it was CLEAR!

the "debuild -uc -us" didn't work for me, it was glad I had the reference link above. So the command I used and it compiled was:
"dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us"

Also of note in case someone on the same issue :
"Once the Debian package scripts and meta-data are configured, build the package by running dpkg-buildpackage (note that it needs to run from the linuxcnc-dev directory, not from linuxcnc-dev/debian):"

One more think I had to install fakeroot to get it to start compiling
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 08:38 by ted1735. Reason: forgot something

More
28 Jun 2018 16:27 #112991 by bkt
Replied by bkt on topic Ubuntu Xenial LTS Repository
very interesting project ... but not possible to have an access to your repo these day .... is still active?

regards
Giorgio

More
25 Jul 2018 12:56 #114798 by eFalegname

If there is enough interest I've been considering setting up something to add daily development builds of version 2.8 as well.
Note: I plan on adding 18.04 Bionic LTS packages as well once it is released later this year.

Hi szechyjs!
Is your project still standing?
I need your help to install Linuxcnc 2.8 on Ubuntu gnome 18.04....please

More
26 Jul 2018 00:00 #114848 by szechyjs
It is, but at this time it still only supports Xenial (16.04) and v2.7.

I've been debating how to handle the RT kernel for Bionic as the released kernel does not have RT support. Bionic ships with 4.15, however there is only RT support for 4.14 and 4.16.

If we can decide on the RT kernel I can easily start publishing that and v2.7 debs. The v2.8 daily/nightlies are still on the back burner though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: irakandjii

More
28 Jul 2018 15:09 - 28 Jul 2018 15:10 #115013 by eFalegname
Hi szechyjs, but it would be possible to install linuxcnc 2.7 in a simulator mode on Ubuntu 18.04 (Pop!_OS 18)?
Last edit: 28 Jul 2018 15:10 by eFalegname.

More
30 Jul 2018 05:22 #115104 by irakandjii
Hi I am very new to this topic. I have some Ubuntu experience for IoT but that is it.

I am buying a new MB/CPU (I3/Z370 chipset) etc for my CNC setup. I was planning on installing Ubuntu 18.04, but from this thread it sounds like I should stay with 16.04. Is this correct?
At a later date can I update to 18.04?

I want to run LinuxCNC intermittently, (a few times a week), but I need to run some IoT automation software using nodeJS all the time (very low loading but 7/24 is imperative). I was hoping to have just one Linux platform. I am assuming this is possible with current coffee lake CPU's and MB's

I have no opinion of the RT kernel for 18.04 and just hope a decision is forthcoming so I can avoid the mess I tend to make when upgrading a major release in the OS.

Thanks in advance, I am grateful for this forum

More
30 Jul 2018 06:06 #115107 by InMyDarkestHour
The following are just my opinions. Some based on paranoia, others based on not effing up a known good setup ;) when trying out a new version of LCNC.
I believe the best thing is having a single dedicated machine for running a cnc machine. Once that machine is setup the only real need for updates is if there is any major issues running LCNC. Have a dual boot setup, one for actually running the machine with a solid known setup and another partition for testing or major config changes.

I also believe in keeping that machine from physically being able to have access to the Internet...ie no cable connected & wireless card removed (some wifi cards can introduce high latencies).

Running a cnc machine has to be the core activity that machine does.

More
31 Jul 2018 03:22 #115200 by szechyjs
I've managed to setup daily builds of 2.8 on launchpad.net. This should allow users to easily add the ppa and get i386 & amd64 builds for Trusty, Xenial and Bionic.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:szechyjs/linuxcnc-daily
sudo apt-get update

code.launchpad.net/~szechyjs/+archive/ubuntu/linuxcnc-daily

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds