Preempt RT install errors, live runs fine

More
15 Apr 2018 01:41 #109036 by Lcvette
Hey all,

I tried installing linuxcnc for the first time ever today and it did not go well. I initially did the live option and everything was great, my touch screen worked, keyboard worked, life was good, I felt confident to try the graphical installation. That's when it went sideways. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I have a problem somewhere. But when it got to the partition section I used the option suggested for new users, and in the next screen it have a bootstrap error? Eventually I had to abort the installation and call it a night. I'm not sure what to do or try and was hoping someone here might help point me in the right direction.

I am installing the preempt RT Debian to use with a 7i92 Mesa Ethernet card.
Installing from USB flash drive, ISO was made using Rufus on a 128gb SanDisk cruiser flash drive (what I had)
PC only has a 128gb SSD, no traditional harddrive, and no DVD drive.

Anything you guys can think of? I'm very new to this and very frustrated..

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2018 02:15 #109041 by PCW
What distribution did you install?

More
15 Apr 2018 02:21 #109043 by Lcvette

What distribution did you install?

The one you linked in the 7i92 discussion in the driver board section for the newer hardware, "stretch" I think you called it?

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

I did the top one on that list because I have an amd64

More
15 Apr 2018 02:31 #109045 by PCW
Does it look like this error:

forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=110803

if so there seems to be a workaround

I vaguely remember running into this on one system
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
15 Apr 2018 02:39 #109046 by Lcvette

Yes that is the error I'm getting!!!!

I will read that that and try their solution in the morning to see if I can get past it!! Thanks Peter!!

Chris

More
15 Apr 2018 03:31 #109048 by Lcvette

ok... now I am nervous. I went out to try the solution but when I tried to power up the machine, all I get is a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left.. not sure what is going on now.. any thoughts??? is the computer scrapped?

More
15 Apr 2018 03:40 #109049 by PCW
I would just try to reboot from the USB (set the boot order so it trys USB first)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
15 Apr 2018 04:18 #109052 by Lcvette

I would just try to reboot from the USB (set the boot order so it trys USB first)

ok, I had to clear the CMOS to even get into the bios setup for some reason bit I got the boot order changed and am now back in. I am at the partition disk section again and getting the same error, and I have tried hitting alt/f2 bit nothing pops up to do what they said they did... im lost again.. this linux is a very far ways away from my native windows environment.

Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2018 05:37 - 15 Apr 2018 05:38 #109055 by Lcvette

ok, made some progress, o went into the non graphical install mode and was able to get alt/f2 to take me to a black screen where i could type in the:

(mount /Dev/sdc1 /cdrom)

but o got the following response: np sich file or directory... now I realize that's because my stuff is named different, bit how do I find out what it is named? where do I look?

thanks in advance I feel like I'm close to solving this.. but I'm not certain.. I mounted the image file I downloaded and looked through it for anything called cdrom bit didn't see anything..

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2018 05:38 by Lcvette.

More
15 Apr 2018 05:53 #109056 by Lcvette
if i redo the USB as a DD instead of an ISO will it fix the issue? I could care less about reusing the usb afterwards, this is causing more grief then the few bucks a lousy usb flash drive would bother me..lol i saw that was mentioned in that post but no body said if it was a fix, it was just speculated. rufus can do either ISO or DD.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds