Any use of RTAI livecd? Where did it go?

More
12 May 2018 14:07 #110600 by jmr
Hi,
For quick latency/performance testing I found 8MB RTAI live cd. It should quickly indicate the hardware has some hiccups in latency. However, the links are broken, as are the links for release rtai download anyway.
I believe I could use that "pirt.iso" for quick booting over the PXE. With this size it should work with minimal RAM found in any thrash computer. That should be faster than booting LinuxCNC livecd, let alone looking for a trouble free optical drive or swapping it around.

SO the main question: Does anyone HAVE a copy of this pirt.iso to let me try?

I was also unable to boot LinuxCNC livecd from PXE. Anyone did?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2018 15:43 - 12 May 2018 15:47 #110607 by Grotius
Hi Jmr,

What is PXE?

If you want to be happy try this iso : www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...uspace-amd64-r10.iso

It installs : debian 9, 64 bit
It works with : drafsight 64 bit, sheetcam 64 bit, etc.
This is the best linux version i tried so far. It is really a window's task / performance killer.
Last edit: 12 May 2018 15:47 by Grotius.

More
12 May 2018 16:18 #110609 by jmr
it stands for Preboot eXecution Environment.
Scheme is simple: have a "server", connect the tested machine to it via ethernet. Boot via network card using dhcpd and tftpd to get your crafted menu with whatever you actually need: memtest, mhdd for disk testing, some livecd or install image (a lot of images can be easily made to boot, I install Slackware that way), select what you want and run. This way there is no need for bootable usb (since network booting eprom works alike disk controller boot rom) - it often does not boot on old systems, or worse, bootable floppy, or when the LG dvd has a failed rubber band for eject. I find it best for simple component testing with no drives installed.
It's also possible to set up a diskless station - good for workshop "help" to read a pdf, play music or do someting remote by ssh. It should be also possible to run entire EMC2 machine with ramdisk...
That seems to be indeed 64bit. I will try that on something newer to see how it performs.
Heh I am still into IA32 boards, and some of them should run my stuff with no issues, as I do not need the pretty axis interface.
There is often not much ram on board, like 256 or 512MB - this is often too little to load full livecd. For basic motion control pentium 2 should be enough - if it can get good and stable realtime operation (which i believe is not a problem unless there is some trouble making hardware used)

More
13 May 2018 02:31 #110628 by InMyDarkestHour
In theory it would be possible.

The main issue I see would be modifying the initrd to mount a, say nfs share, to mount the squashfs file system.

I use a PXE server to boot Systemrescue and install Slackware, even some versions of Puppy Linux can be booted via pxe.

If you are interested I have some notes on installing Linuxcnc, with a PRE_EMPT kernel on Salix 14.2 I did a 64 bit install but it should be the same process for 32 bit

More
13 May 2018 11:21 #110663 by jmr
@Ozzyrob: Thanks for reply. I believe that would be much use for me. I have been running some minimalistic slack installs in the past. Since LinuxCNC is expected to install from package (deb?), and there is no real mention of other ways, some notes might help. The best would be for it to end with SlackBuild... If not, crazy-but-working /usr/local install will do.
I remember trying to get comedi running, to use its components with 8255 io. Well, that was like digging in old grave, and unsuccessful, with all of its deprecated dependencies.
Thats why I was happy for a moment to find this: RTAI LiveCD 0.16 (8MB) (2005-04-20 T 18:18) - just to see the mirrors are empty. It's from 2005, but its complete so should be self-sufficient.
I got linuxcnc try to boot but from pxe but there was something missing. It was not the best way to pull the 1GB+ into ram...
I was able to use slackware with nfsroot with no problem so that may be my direction...

More
13 May 2018 12:38 - 13 May 2018 13:19 #110667 by InMyDarkestHour
I've tried twice already to post my write up and twice I've made it go fubar.......I'll get something together for tomorrow. It's almost midnight Sunday here.
Last edit: 13 May 2018 13:19 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
14 May 2018 01:30 - 14 May 2018 01:31 #110708 by InMyDarkestHour
I'll break this up into pieces:

Phase 1:
Install Salix-14.2 & Install required dependencies

When using the installer select the "Basic Install"

Next when you get a screen asking to select repos/mirrors select the "slackware.uk" mirror. Seems to be up, others I had trouble with them not being up when needed.

When first booted and logged in open a terminal and run the following:
slapt-get -u
slapt-src -u

Using slapt-get install the follwoing:
itsool
bwidget
libmodbus
tcl
tk
tkpng
tcllib
boost
python-setuptools
pip
bc
tclx

Using slapt-src install the following:
tkimg
deb2tgz

Installing yapps:
sudo  pip install 'git+https://github.com/mk-fg/yapps.git#egg=yapps'
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/yapps2 /usr/bin/yapps

Install blt for tk8.6:
Download the deb package to suit your arch from here
packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/tk8.6-blt2.5
create a slack pkg with deb2tgz & install
deb2tgz tk8.6-blt2.5_2.5.3+dfsg-3_amd64.deb -otk8.6-blt2.5_2.5.3+dfsg-3_amd64.txz
installpkg tk8.6-blt2.5_2.5.3+dfsg-3_amd64.txz 

Ok that's it for the initial setup.
Last edit: 14 May 2018 01:31 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
14 May 2018 01:37 - 14 May 2018 01:42 #110709 by InMyDarkestHour
Phase 2:
Build & Install preempt rt kernel

Pretty simple
I used linux-4.9.4 & rt kernel to go with.
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel...x/linux-4.9.4.tar.xz
and the patch
mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel...hes-4.9.4-rt2.tar.xz

Extract the kernel and apply the rt patch.
Kernel config for a "huge" kernel has been included

File Attachment:

File Name: config-com...nc-1.txt
File Size:164 KB

I use the below to create a slackware installable kernel pkg. Run it after building the kernel & modules, no need to run "make install" Not my own work I found it on a thread on linuxquestions and for the life of me I can't find the thread.

File Attachment:

File Name: kernel-common.tar.gz
File Size:15 KB

After installing the kernel package just created adjust your boot loader to include the new kernel.

Now reboot with your new kernel.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2018 01:42 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
14 May 2018 02:06 #110710 by InMyDarkestHour
Phase 3:

Build 2.8 branch for RIP enviroment

Clone the linuxcnc from github;

cd into src
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-non-distributable=yes --with-realtime=uspace

Then just follow the instructions on screen

Build 2.7 branch for RIP enviroment

Clone the linuxcnc from github;

cd into src
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-non-distributable=yes --with-realtime=uspace

After running configure we need to modify:
src/emc/sai/Submakefile

Comment out the line that reads LIBREADLINE=-lreadline
On the last line change:
$(LIBREADLINE)
to
$(READLINE_LIBS)

run make and follow the instruction on screen after a successful build.

More
14 May 2018 11:50 - 14 May 2018 11:58 #110723 by jmr
You used this exact kernel source and those exact patches? I am having a lot of rejected chunks.
I did:
cd linux-4.9.4
xzcat ../patches-4.9.4-rt2.tar.xz | patch -p1
edit: I got it to work, using single-patch patch-* file.
Last edit: 14 May 2018 11:58 by jmr.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds