Installing LinuxCNC on Debian 9

More
20 Nov 2018 17:59 #121076 by Mya2k
Hello,

The link seems to be broken as of 11/20/18. Please refer to attached image. Also, is it expected that the www.linuxcnc.org domain is down?

Thanks,
Mya
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2018 17:04 #121136 by andypugh
Looks like a problem at your end, both linuxcnc.org and cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...-including-firmware/ are working for me.

downforeveryoneorjustme.com can be a useful way to check.

More
19 Dec 2018 22:13 #122615 by DaveInConesus
Is Debian 9 the suggested version to go with for a new install? I am in the process of building a Gatton CNC router for home use. I would prefer to stay away from a windows box and have been using Ubuntu on home machines for 8-10 years. I tried the downloadable and the live CD works fine but the installation dies. I got it past the network card hang but then it aborts while installing the system. Setting up from an iso and if needed building from sources is not a problem.

I am looking at using the Mesa 7i96. I am setting up on an old Biostar TA790 GXE board with a Phenom II x945 and 4gb ram. It is what was on the shelf that powered up :-)

Dave

More
20 Dec 2018 13:43 #122642 by Todd Zuercher
If you are using a Mesa card, then I would try Debian 9. If you are using a parallel port (or can't get good enough latency with the Preempt-RT kernel) you might be better off with the old Debian 7 based ISO. To some extent you may be better off trying both and seeing which works better for the PC you are using.

More
23 Dec 2018 22:15 #122803 by DaveInConesus
It looks like I am going to need to do some research. I got the RT kernal installed although a slightly newer version.

uname -a gives:
Linux Deb9CNC 4.9.0-8-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u6 (2018-10-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3cb9fd148f374fef failed for a dependency on E: gnupg, gnupg2 and gnupg1 do not seem to be installed, gnupg was removed by the dirmngr install. I got by it by apt-get-install gnupg1.

Things fall apart on sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3cb9fd148f374fef

cncuser@Deb9CNC:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3cb9fd148f374fef
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.H06wT6Wnh6/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3cb9fd148f374fef
gpg: requesting key 8F374FEF from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
gpgkeys: key 3CB9FD148F374FEF can't be retrieved
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0
gpg: keyserver communications error: keyserver helper general error
gpg: keyserver communications error: unknown pubkey algorithm
gpg: keyserver receive failed: unknown pubkey algorithm

and that is followed by E: Unable to locate package software-properties-common

It took a bit to get the wireless to actually work too. I ended up doing a no network install and then turning on the network after the install.

Not feeling a lot of love for Debian 9 at the moment.

Dave

More
24 Dec 2018 13:58 #122825 by Schnitti
Hi folks,

first of all: Mery X-mas to all of you.

I want to share some experience with Debian 9 and linuxcnc:

I have a rt61pci wlan pci card. This is usually no trick, but i got some trouble with network-manager. Solution: The dhcp client scripts are under control of apparmor. This does not work. Symlink the 2 dhclient files in /etc/apparmor.d/disabled or delete them.

I have a nvidia graphics card. Normally the nouveau in Version 7 worked for me, but not in Debian 9 (unexpected ...). Solution: remove xserver-nouveau package. Do not use nvidia driver, use nouveau dri and native xserver.

Now finally after some tricky investigation the updated machine is running again.

(upgrade only to 686-pae kernel, no crossgrading to amd 64 arch)

Greetings to all of you, great job!

Wolfgang

More
24 Dec 2018 15:50 #122827 by BigJohnT
Dave, you may need to update a second time, IIRC I had to do that once.

JT

More
29 Dec 2018 15:41 #123089 by pl7i92
if the live DVD starts on kernal panic it is the wrong PC i got no luck on older ones

More
29 Dec 2018 22:17 #123117 by DaveInConesus
I think I fixed it. I did a manual edit of /etc/apt/sources.list to force in all of the non-free options.

sources.list is attached as sources.txt. it wouldn't post inline due tot the number of links.

It is happily running the latency test now with cnn, a youtube video and glxgears running. I saw some 55k ns numbers at first but I reset the stats and it is hanging at 18.4k ns on the servo thread and 28.4k on the base thread. I need to go look up if that is good or bad.

Dave
Attachments:

More
30 Dec 2018 15:38 #123158 by pl7i92
the stepconf will use a 100k latency for the main Base tread
the 18k i woudt go 25k goes into the stepgen numbers

so you will se a good running 5m/min speed mashine at a 250mm/s/s speedup
Good work

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds