LinuxCNC running on Ubuntu 18.04 updated to kernel 4.18.12 with Preempt RT

More
27 Jan 2020 02:45 #155872 by jferguson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2020 11:18 #155891 by tommylight

More
05 Feb 2020 13:24 #156587 by andypugh

I did the installation on the machine at the shop, had the problem with screen resolution and fixed that with a grub modification.

What did you use?

On the Buster VM running on my Mac the RTAI kernel will only go to 1152x768, which is a bit lump on a 27" 5k monitor.

This isn't a massive issue, as this is just a VM that I test things on. But I do worry that there is a glitch with that RTAI kernel.

More
06 Feb 2020 19:56 #156649 by jferguson
I'm not at the shop, but will post what I did. They symptom was that the settings menu in ubuntu only offered something like 640x480 resolution. After a lot off googling, I found a suggestion that I do a couple of hardware lists referring to VBE in a terminal window, then change /etc/default/grub line that says #GRUB_GFXMODE="640x480" to best resolution found using VBE. and of course removing the hashtag, rebooting.

Like the view things in life that actually worked the first time, I cannot remember exactly but this page seems the right one.
linuxconfig.org/how-to-increase-tty-cons...-ubuntu-18-04-server

More
06 Feb 2020 19:57 - 18 Jan 2021 04:26 #156650 by jferguson
I'll try to get the correct story when I get to shop tomorrow.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2021 04:26 by jferguson.

More
18 Jan 2021 04:25 - 18 Jan 2021 04:32 #195748 by jferguson
AAAK, what a creep I am. I see I never got back to you on the screen resolution issue and now I cannot begin to remember what I did. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and will check.

One other thing, I wanted to run same setup on what I thought was identical HP Elite at home, but alas, it has EFI and the stuff which needs to be in the kernel to load in that environment isn't there.

What can I do to add it?

PS: I've been running my 6040 Router on this for almost a year now without problems - mostly pcb's some r/c aircraft parts.
Getting ready to start running Sherline 2000 mill. Design and CAM with Creo, post with Gpost and then the rest is running the code through LinuxCNC to the controller I built and on to the mill. some problems with ini file, but I think I've got them cornered, max-acceleration different on trajectory planning from same on axes which confused me, but I think I've got it now.

ah well,,
Last edit: 18 Jan 2021 04:32 by jferguson.

More
18 Jan 2021 04:49 #195749 by jferguson
This is what I did.

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE="1024x768"

More
18 Jan 2021 09:11 #195759 by andypugh

One other thing, I wanted to run same setup on what I thought was identical HP Elite at home, but alas, it has EFI and the stuff which needs to be in the kernel to load in that environment isn't there.

You could try installing Debian from the LinuxCNC ISO.

Or, try the stock ubuntu ISO and then install the standard preempt-rt kernel and the LinuxCNC package:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel

(Follow the Debian Buster instructions, they will probably work for Ubuntu too)

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds