Installing from USB stick

More
22 Apr 2019 23:45 #131574 by JohnBr00ker
Yes, it does have a ethernet port, and I've just tested it, and it works ok, so as you've given me a little more confidence, I'll run both update and dist-upgrade.
Can you explain

but you need configure you apt sources and adding a conf file.

a little for me ? The old brain cells are getting slower these days !
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 00:02 #131575 by InMyDarkestHour

More
23 Apr 2019 00:25 - 23 Apr 2019 01:06 #131580 by JohnBr00ker
Thanks for your help, but having read that post, I realise that that my 80 year old brain is not going to cope with the changes that have occurred since the last time I used linuxcnc, about ten years ago. While I can cope with terminal, and follow instructions, not being able to understand 90% of the content is worrisome.

I've brought over from UK an hdd with ubuntu 8.04 and linuxcnc installed on it, so I might try installing that in my desktop here in USA in order to once again get some chips flying.
Thanks again,
John
EDIT
Glutton for punishment, I tried a completely new install, but this time with the LAN connection, and all seems to be well.
As the wireless connection seems to be problematic, I can always use the LAN on occasions to update.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2019 01:06 by JohnBr00ker.

More
23 Apr 2019 01:01 - 23 Apr 2019 01:05 #131585 by InMyDarkestHour
All you have to do is edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect what is in the grey box.

Then create a text file as mentioned next with the contents as per the 2nd grey box.

It's all just simple edting of text files.

easy as in a terminal:
sudo nano  /etc/apt/sources.list

then:
sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10no-check-valid-until

All it is doing is setting up debian to be able to install & upgrade programs.

Depending on your Motherboard Ubuntu 8.04 may not have support for your hardware....which could mean a whole world of trouble..unless you are ok with compiling kernels & kernel modules. IMHO editing two text files is a whole lot less trouble
Last edit: 23 Apr 2019 01:05 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
23 Apr 2019 01:08 #131586 by JohnBr00ker
Thanks for that heads up. I know now where to come to, if I need it !
Regards
John

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds