Lubuntu 18.04

More
18 May 2019 14:15 #134185 by BigJohnT
Lubuntu 18.04 was created by BigJohnT
I'm working on getting rt preempt going on the light weight minimal install of Lubuntu 18,04. I built and installed the 5.0.14-rt9 #1 SMP PREEMPT kernel but oddly synaptic package manager does not see it nor will it allow me to delete all the generic kernels yet the grub customizer sees it. Maybe it's just too new for Lubuntu 18.04... I'm going to back down to 4.x.x-rtx in the morning and build that and see. Another interesting thing is the latency test runs in non realtime so it can't find it either. When I do uname -a it shows the rt kernel is the one running.... if anyone else is running Lubuntu 18.04 and wants to share some notes that would be a big help.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2019 15:21 #134191 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Lubuntu 18.04
what eill be the benefit you hoping to adchive

i guess running on low level cpu

as the lubuntu will not add ady cam systems its just a mashine only

More
18 May 2019 16:11 #134201 by mozmck
Replied by mozmck on topic Lubuntu 18.04
For any debian based system, synaptic will only show installed debian packages. If you install using make install or such, it won't show in synaptic.

if uname -r shows that the rt kernel is the one running then that is what is running. As far as removing all the rest - synaptic may not let you remove every kernel - but I don't know for sure.

More
18 May 2019 17:13 #134205 by bkt
Replied by bkt on topic Lubuntu 18.04
never use lubuntu ... but all other family yes ... quite sure it work with every pacage. Synaptic manager is not change from ubuntu 10.04 .... but attention please .... actually some app and package app is install with snap ... synaptics and snap is not good friends.

regards
Attachments:

More
18 May 2019 21:39 #134215 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Lubuntu 18.04

if uname -r shows that the rt kernel is the one running then that is what is running. As far as removing all the rest - synaptic may not let you remove every kernel - but I don't know for sure.

The first issue might be that the kernel is not "fully preemtable", or lubuntu might have some issues with it as I had the same problem with lubuntu 16.04 when it came out and had to jump some hoops to make it work but unfortunately I can not recalled what I did then and have not used Ubuntu since then.
Removing kernels from synaptic will not work as expected as it has a fail safe so it will install the current generic kernel whenever trying to remove another one.

More
18 May 2019 21:44 #134216 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Lubuntu 18.04

For any debian based system, synaptic will only show installed debian packages. If you install using make install or such, it won't show in synaptic.

I just looked on my LinuxMint 18 in Synaptic and sure enough no rt kernel. I guess I was thinking Debian and working in Ubuntu lol. Anyway I'm going to back down to 5.0.3-rt1 kernel and install that as Peter is using that now with Ubuntu 18 so I know that works. I should have known better than to use the latest one.

uname -r shows the 5.0.13-rt9 is the kernel running but for some strange reason latency test can't find it.

JT

More
20 May 2019 13:11 #134354 by BigJohnT
Ok, I got everything sorted out and backed down a few notches on the kernel and I have LinuxCNC up and running in Lubuntu 18.04 with very surprising low latency running the servo thread so far it's been running for an hour or better and the latency is 8,434 ns. Much better latency than Debian had.

I'll update my Uspace web pages in the next day or so with what I did to get up and running.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, bcristian

More
23 May 2019 18:05 #134728 by BigJohnT
Some interesting latency results both from the same motherboard etc only the OS is changed.

First Debian 9

Now Lubuntu 18.04

Quite a difference it seems... Lubuntu is not the holy grail of OS's as being light weight it has it's own problems with some of the support programs like LeafPad and the file manager but I think overall it's quite usable on a machine.

Next I'll install QtPyVCP and see how that goes with VTK plotting much faster than Gremlin it should scream.

JT
Attachments:

More
23 May 2019 19:49 #134739 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Lubuntu 18.04
Since Debian Buster ought to be released in the next few months, maybe you should give building Linuxcnc for it a try. It only has the 4.19 kernel not 5.0 like Lubuntu,

More
24 May 2019 00:54 #134759 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Lubuntu 18.04
Did they by any chance fix the problem of copying large files on Lubuntu 18.04 ?
And as for light it is not by any standards, Debian netinstal with Mate is much snappier.
Due to lack of time I did not get a chance to try to install Linuxcnc on Porteus as that is the light weight king of Linux distros, while maintaining full functionality. They even have a version for 486 processors with Mate desktop! Magnificent, especially since I already dug out a 486 notebook and some pentium 1 notebooks from when I had still black hair! :)

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds