Dual Boot Issues

More
18 Jan 2020 06:47 #155092 by Hazron
Dual Boot Issues was created by Hazron
Hello All,

A Newbie here, struggling a bit with the depth required to handle LinuxCNC but will give it a try. Impressed with the forum support and like the open source concept, and the power of LinuxCNC (if you can master it). Been reading heaps and watching many YouTubes and it's time to practice. I have a DOS based CNC bed mill and it needs a new control system.

I've a Dell 9020 USFF with a 480GB SSD running Win10Pro. I was hoping to keep W10 operating and run a Dual Boot system and there no other SSD slot in the small format machine for a second SSD. I've Live installed the recent Debian ISO and ran it OK. The Latency seems low (servo 8.8k & Base 13.3k) with 7 glxgears running. The $15 USB Wifi stick worked in Windows but not Linux as yet and no Lan here at present so couldn't load the system up via Youtube or the like. I'd guessed a bit and turned off a number of BIOS options (not WiFi) and disabled AMT as per PCW's suggestion on a post.

Anyway I tried a full install and the Lan was not recognized which is one issue. I see another reference to that problem on a post about installing Mint on a SFF 9020 Dell. I had teh same problem when I tried on very HP Vista desktop.

I'd previously partitioned one section of the SSD via the Windows Disk Management system with NTFS (only option). When I got to manual partition in the Debian install it showed the SSDisk OK but no partitions showed up so couldn't proceed without wiping W10. Tried searching the forum and the net but could't nail down this problem.

Any Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2020 13:19 #155095 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic Dual Boot Issues
I used to use easy bcd but it didn't work on win 10 for me

More
18 Jan 2020 15:06 #155099 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Dual Boot Issues
Many newer pcs have protections installed to prevent installing other OSes than Windows. I don’t have any experience dealing with it. Try googling and checking other Linux sites for work arounds.

More
18 Jan 2020 16:19 #155101 by Leon82

Many newer pcs have protections installed to prevent installing other OSes than Windows. I don’t have any experience dealing with it. Try googling and checking other Linux sites for work arounds.

there is a setting in the bios I ran into this trying to install different versions of Ubuntu.
It would give me a message saying that it was whitelisted.

I turned off the setting in the BIOS and then it worked fine

More
19 Jan 2020 12:07 #155143 by Hazron
Replied by Hazron on topic Dual Boot Issues
Thanks for the feedback guys.
The install recognizes the LAN now.

I turn off most things I could think of in the BIOS but the install still only sees the SSD with no partition.

More
19 Jan 2020 12:36 #155144 by Leon82
Try hitting f8 as it is booting. It should get you to a boot menu

More
19 Jan 2020 23:11 #155209 by Hazron
Yep, did all that.

More
20 Jan 2020 16:46 #155264 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Dual Boot Issues
Have look for this guy Chris Titus.
He has quite a good YouTube for linux/w10 dual boot.

More
21 Jan 2020 04:12 #155294 by Hazron
Thanks, I've looked at a bunch of these but not this one. Most do a full disk wipe install (like this YouTube), and the others do an install to an existing partition but my ISO install (from the LinuxCNC site) doesn't seem to see the existing NTFS partition or give and option to make a partition.

More
21 Jan 2020 06:23 #155296 by J Green
Replied by J Green on topic Dual Boot Issues
Hi ---
Not a direct answer but why not pick up a small ( less than 1 GB size ) hard drive and use it to play around for learning Linux . There used to be a book "Knoppix for Dummies " which "learned me " . Knoppix is still around and for learning I think is still very useful The book showed me the worth of terminal command line entry which is extremely useful for Linux-CNC.
Somewhere in all this mess I have a laptop with more than six Linux distro's and a Win ?? system. To my thinking the earlier "Grub boot loader " seems easier to use.
Think your trying to pick up on using Linux CNC is good , just ignore the few bumps in the journey.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds