Trying to install on J3455B mobo, linuxcnc installation usb not bootable

More
26 Feb 2020 07:21 #158509 by magpie_lark
Just like the title says, I'm trying to install any linuxcnc/ubuntu/mint iso I can find, but my motherboard won't recognize the usb installer media as bootable. Is there some trick to it? I tried using unetbootin, win32diskimager, the linux mint usb iso tool, and dd. None of them produced something that was bootable. I looked in gparted, and in all cases, the "boot" flag was not set for the usb media.

My other option is to install mint and build the RT kernel after the fact, but this little box is incredibly puny, and it seemed like it spent all the time compiling drivers and modules I'll never use (I gave up after 3 hours). Does anyone have experience with this particular motherboard? Am I stuck with trying to compile the kernel after the fact? Is there an easy way to compile the kernel on a brawnier computer and move it over to this box without having to deal with installation media?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2020 07:34 #158510 by BeagleBrainz
Have you gone into the BIOS and set it to boot legacy Compatibility Support Module ?

Go through your manual or look for it online.

This is basically what I had to do on my J3355B

That's it enable CSM.

Or search for J3455B Legacy boot.

If you like Mint you may want to read through ALL of this thread, the latest Release is towards the end.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...t-19-2-with-linuxcnc

More
26 Feb 2020 07:43 - 26 Feb 2020 07:44 #158511 by magpie_lark
Tried enabling anything in the bios labeled "legacy" and CSM. It boots the mint 19 installer usb just fine, I just can't get any of the installers that include linuxcnc to boot.

For DD, I tried:

sudo dd if=linuxmint-19.2.0-2020.02.18-rtai-lcnc-v28-mate-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdb oflag=direct bs=1048576

it copied, it's readable, but it's not bootable. I'll try the iso towards the end of that thread. What can you recommend for creating installation media? use DD, sure, but what parameters?
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 07:44 by magpie_lark.

More
26 Feb 2020 08:29 - 26 Feb 2020 08:44 #158515 by BeagleBrainz
Ok if that one wont boot none of my other mate images will boot.

Hmmm for some reason you seem to have trouble booting hybrid iso's. I haven't tried booting those images on my board yet, as it is buried under some stuff in the cupboard I call a garage.

There is something that may work.
Basically it involves creating an exfat partition on the USB stick, installing grub to the USB stick and booting by "loop mounting the image". If you are interested I can post some instructions if you are interested.

Is there an option to enable USB legacy ?

Launch PXE OpROM Policy should be legacy
Launch Storage OpROM Policy should be legacy
Launch Video OpROM Policy should be legacy

I have also disabled the FAST BOOT option

Just tried the most recent RT image and it boots on my board.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 08:44 by BeagleBrainz.

More
26 Feb 2020 08:47 #158518 by magpie_lark
Got it! Installing one of your mint ISOs now. Used Rufus, it detected some issue with mismatched versions of a particular component. I'll post a screenshot and more detailed info on my settings tomorrow, gonna install now and go to bed.

Thanks for your help! And thanks for rolling those ISOs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
26 Feb 2020 16:13 #158553 by BeagleBrainz
Thanks for bringing this issue up. The software I was using to remaster the image was not creating a UEFI image. I fixed that and created a test image that booted in VBox when that was set for UEFI . I’ll upload the new RT image after your next post.
Once again thanks for the input it has been really helpful.

Cheers
Rob

More
27 Feb 2020 04:24 #158597 by magpie_lark
Crap. Oddly enough, I didn't have that error pop up when I reflashed the USB drive.

Anyways, install is a success with your new ISO as well. I got latency no lower than like 60 us with the preempt-rt kernel, so I installed the iso that was packaged with RTAI/2.8 and got numbers no higher than 15 us. So far, so good....
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
27 Feb 2020 04:36 #158598 by BeagleBrainz
I usually use dd or USB Imager Writer on Linux or win32DiskImager for windows, never ever had any issues with it, one of those utilities that is simple and works.

So the UEFI one was ok ?
I haven't had much time to test it except on a Virtual machine.

You may get better latency using the XFCE desktop, the RT_PREEMPT is good for Mesa Ethernet and the RTAI good for PP.

More
03 Mar 2020 23:47 #159124 by andypugh
I had so much trouble with booting form USB that I bought a £20 USB DVD drive.
As a side effect I am amassing a library of historical LinuxCNC boot discs, which are actually occasionally useful.

More
04 Mar 2020 03:54 #159146 by BeagleBrainz
I wont mention my archive of Slackware going all the way back to the first release, ubuntu to version 4.10 (all ISO's on the server) and the pile of Puppy Linux discs when I was helping to get wifi working.....And a bunch of RedHat before it went Fedora. And the even sadder thing is I have hardware that was available when those early ones were released.
Anyways I'm off back to mum's basement to trim my beard and drink pepsi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds