New to linux

More
02 Apr 2020 15:59 - 02 Apr 2020 16:00 #162460 by KaleD
New to linux was created by KaleD
I have an old desktop(runs XP) that has been collecting dust and I want to get into LinuxCNC for plasma cutting. The old desktop runs Xp fine with no problems. I downloaded the linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy iso and used rufus3.9 to make a bootable USB. I've tried multiple USBs and even a DVD. I've done the same with thing with linuxmint just to see if the iso is the problem. The old desktop boots straight to windows no matters what the bios boot order is. I can't see and option for a boot from USB in bios. I think I have exhausted my ideas on what to google. Forgive me for being such a newb. I really want to learn how to use LinuxCNC and installing it is probably the easiest part.

The model number is DXG838 if that is relevant.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2020 16:00 by KaleD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2020 16:35 #162463 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic New to linux
Not really. What processor and how much memory does the PC have?

A PC that runs XP may not nessisarilly meet the hardware requirements for Wheezy. You could possibly try one of the older Linuxcnc ISOs. For example I have one machine that runs great with this ISO linuxcnc.org/iso/ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386.iso but it won't run the Wheezy one. (It is an old P4 with 1024mb ram.) That particular examples problems may be unrelated to the memory and processor though. I think Wheezy doesn't like the fact that motherboard has ISA slots and an ISA card, because similar machines without the ISA hardware run it fine.

More
02 Apr 2020 16:51 #162467 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic New to linux
you may need a 64bit system to get to what you like to do
the XP one is a 32bit system so invest some 50USD in a real good used system

if you tell the WorldPos where you are Continent is the main some people will try to find a good one for you

bios in the boot sequence is offen not you think it workes as it jumps back if you set DVD to first item
try to get some Foppy between the DVD and HDD even if it has none on the PC

More
02 Apr 2020 17:07 #162471 by KaleD
Replied by KaleD on topic New to linux
Could you please explain what you mean by Foppy?

More
02 Apr 2020 17:28 #162473 by Todd Zuercher

you may need a 64bit system to get to what you like to do
the XP one is a 32bit system so invest some 50USD in a real good used system

if you tell the WorldPos where you are Continent is the main some people will try to find a good one for you

bios in the boot sequence is offen not you think it workes as it jumps back if you set DVD to first item
try to get some Foppy between the DVD and HDD even if it has none on the PC

Neither Linuxcnc, Debian Wheezy, or the Linuxcnc Wheezy ISO require a 64-bit computer.

More
02 Apr 2020 19:42 #162485 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New to linux
It sounds like to me that the issue is your motherboard does not support booting from USB. I think you need to boot from Physical media (DVD or CD) but does it support booting from DVD? Maybe it needs a CD. Will Wheezy still fit on a CD?

I would also try another burning tool.

I have not had a lot of experience with old hardware but I never had problems booting from physical media.

More
02 Apr 2020 20:15 #162490 by Todd Zuercher
The Wheezy iso requires a DVD (or usb).
The older iso I linked to is a CD.

More
02 Apr 2020 20:39 #162493 by KaleD
The old desktop only has 256mb of ram. I think it might be preventing the install.

More
02 Apr 2020 21:25 #162495 by Todd Zuercher
256mb might be a problem. Pretty sure Wheezy can run with 512mb but it is still less than the recommended minimum.
I think the Ubuntu 10.04 ISO may work with 256mb, but it would be pushing the low end of barely working.

Also having bare minimum memory could be an issue trying to run the graphical installer, and running the ISO live. But you may be able to install using the text based menus. But at that point the PC may be so pathetic, that it isn't worth the effort.

More
02 Apr 2020 21:34 #162497 by KaleD
Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I've concluded that I need a 10 year old computer not a 20 year old one. Any suggestions?

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds