New to linux

More
02 Apr 2020 23:52 #162516 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic New to linux
Try to get a system that supports both Legcay\BIOS and UEFI booting if looking for a new MB, 2nd hand i3/i5/i7 & Core 2 Duo Systems should be fine.
Asrock J4105B MBs only support UEFI Booting, well anything with a J4105 or Gemini Lake

Asrock J3355B MB's are both Legacy & UEFI bootable and have a Parallel Port. I use one myself but they may be a little hard to get hold of.

Tommy knows the ins & outs of suitable 2nd hand machines......maybe he should start a sticky with a list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, KaleD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2020 01:33 #162523 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New to linux
Dell Optiplex 780 and up, 7xxx, 9xxx series, all should do just fine. HP 8300 is also good, and some i3 and i5 Fujitsu. Not Fujitsu-siemens, for this you have to reach into the workstation territory and those are not cheap.
Also some cheap older ASUS and Asrock boards with a strange type of celeron are very good, i can get the exact models tomorrow, but i think they both have 61m in the model name. Had plenty of them with 2.6 and 2.7 GHz processors, they run Linux Mint 19.2 properly fast.
Beware, those Dell's are all "Enterprise edition", the home and business ones will most probably not do, i did test some Home ones, they had terrible issues are are unbearably slow even with an i3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz, KaleD

More
03 Apr 2020 07:11 #162537 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic New to linux
and you may not need to look for a Parport Motherboard most extencion PCI parallelport cards do work
and you benefit for a extra port as most got 2 on the pci card
at low cost of 20USD

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds