Installation problems with SSD

More
25 Apr 2020 19:29 #165570 by PortlandGTS
I've been running LinuxCNC 2.8 on wheezy with RTAI kernel for several years now. I'm running into problems trying to upgrade to an SSD with more capacity and a separate /home partition.

I downloaded the latest Master .iso and loaded it onto a USB stick. Then I found that legacy boot doesn't work on my system. (Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H). Don't remember how I did it before, but I probably used a CD-ROM drive. That's long gone, and I don't even have a CD burner to write an iso to CD-ROM.

Then I tried installing the LinuxCNC .iso from a hard drive. I tried various HD-media Debian installers, but they would not accept the LinuxCNC .iso. Apparently the kernel in the installer must be the same version as the kernel in the .iso. Anybody know how where to get a vmlinuz with right RTAI kernel?

Not sure where to go from here. I've spent a lot of time going down dead ends, and don't want to go down another. The only two choices I can see right now are HW changes (CD-burner or new motherboard), or a switch to Debian 9 or 10 with a preempt kernel.

Anybody have any other suggestions before I start down one of those paths?

Thanks,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2020 20:19 #165572 by Mike_Eitel
I did it with clonezilla
But here are a choice of tools described.
www.ubuntupit.com/top-15-best-disk-cloning-software-for-linux/

Mike

More
25 Apr 2020 20:32 #165574 by tommylight
You can give these a try:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install
For Debian 10, and
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
For Mint 19.x
If you do need RTAI, i did successfully install it on Mint 19.2 with the packages downloaded from here:
www.linuxcnc.org/temp
As mike mentioned, clonezilla is a nice way to copy HDD's.

More
25 Apr 2020 21:33 #165580 by BeagleBrainz
Just beware that UEFI booting with a RTAI kernel will only detect a single core. So effectively a 2/4/6 core CPU will end as a single core system.

More
26 Apr 2020 00:04 #165594 by PortlandGTS
clonezilla looks like it will do the job!

Thanks,Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Apr 2020 00:11 #165595 by PortlandGTS

You can give these a try:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install
For Debian 10, and
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
For Mint 19.x
If you do need RTAI, i did successfully install it on Mint 19.2 with the packages downloaded from here:
www.linuxcnc.org/temp
As mike mentioned, clonezilla is a nice way to copy HDD's.

I'll probably go with clonezilla, but wheezy's getting kind of old, so let me double check: RT-preempt has low enough latency to work with Mesa boards, correct? RTAI is only needed for direct motor control?

Tom

More
26 Apr 2020 00:13 #165597 by PortlandGTS

Just beware that UEFI booting with a RTAI kernel will only detect a single core. So effectively a 2/4/6 core CPU will end as a single core system.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's good to know.

tom

More
26 Apr 2020 00:38 #165600 by tommylight

I'll probably go with clonezilla, but wheezy's getting kind of old, so let me double check: RT-preempt has low enough latency to work with Mesa boards, correct? RTAI is only needed for direct motor control?
Tom

Yes Tom, RT has very good latency for Mesa boards, and can also do parallel port or direct motor drive control, on newish PC's. RTAI is better for older PC's.
I have RT on two core2duo PC's and the latency is low enough to use parallel comfortably, one of them has another add on PCI parallel card and a Mesa 6i25 in it, so it total it has 4 D25 connectors on the back.
Tom

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds