New to linux and a bit lost

More
04 May 2020 23:08 #166688 by mojuave
I have an old computer and installed Ubuntu on it that went fine. I am trying to install the Linuxcnc with no luck. I tried the flashdrive and can boot it from there but install tutorials show people doing 2 things, 1 the hard drive with cnc or a cd drive. the cd drive I try and right click the ISO but do not have the option for write to disk.

This computer will be dedicated only to my cnc. How do I just use it only for that and not have to select a boot drive everytime? Do I install just linuxcnc or do I need Ubuntu?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2020 23:40 #166694 by tommylight
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...onic-beaver-mint-iso
Download the ISO there and write it to USB using DD in Linux OR win32imager in windoze.

More
04 May 2020 23:43 #166695 by BeagleBrainz
What Tommy says, then after you have booted, click of the desktop icon to install a new OS preinstalled with Linuxcnc.
You can choose whether to replace Ubuntu (easy) or keep Ubuntu and dual boot (a little harder).

It would help if you are able to share the specs of your computer.

More
05 May 2020 11:04 #166765 by mojuave
Replied by mojuave on topic New to linux and a bit lost
Ok I did some searching and linuxcnc is not an option right now as I need different controller. What I have is gbrl board so will need that software. I downloaded candle gbrl for linux i86. Installed Linux Mint and trying to install candle. Thats where I am lost now. I am new to linux as far as I just learned to install it. In the folder for candle is nothing I can see to install it, How do I install programs in linux? I will just need to search how I know this forum is linuxcnc not candle

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds