Buildbot & RTAI ?

More
03 Aug 2020 17:32 #177060 by twoflowers
Buildbot & RTAI ? was created by twoflowers
I'm not espectially happy with the performance of the new RP-PREEMPT kernels, as I get latency > 80.000 on all of my machines - which is by a factor of ~ 15 worse than the RTAI kernel from linuxcnc.org/temp/ . Is/will the RTAI kernel be available via bildbot anytime?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 18:05 #177062 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
None of them are available via buildbot, They are Linux kernels, not LinuxCNC kernels.
But LinuxCNC is dependent on them so Andy ( i think ) was kind enough to provide us with the RTAI 64 bit version since to my knowledge it is no longer developed and maintained by the Linux community, only the Preempt-RT version is being developed and updated.

More
03 Aug 2020 18:38 #177065 by twoflowers
Replied by twoflowers on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
This not very reassuring. Is there a list of hardware that works with RT-PREEMPT? I hate to say it, but for lowcost equipment this will most likely kick linuxcnc out of the game :(

More
03 Aug 2020 18:53 #177066 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
Yes for lowcost go arduino & gbrl.

More
03 Aug 2020 19:20 #177070 by tommylight
It is impossible to have a list of working PC's due to the wast amount of differences and different hardware used in them. Even the same Pc or laptop from the same company can have a wide variety of hardware choices.
As a general rule, the enterprise edition PC's from Dell, HP and Fujitsu do work nicely as far back as core2duo and up to 4'th generation of i3, i5, i7, and they can be found from 25 to 80 euro a piece used.
Stay away from "home" or "Business" edition, those will most probably not work.
As for new PC's it is a cr@p shoot, i have Ryzen 5 3600 with an MSI MB that is useless, my bro has a Ryzen 9 3900 with an MSI MB that is very good !

More
03 Aug 2020 20:21 #177079 by twoflowers
Hm. I have looted schools computer room (most were HP Elite 8100 with i3), they work perfectly with RTAI (latency < 10.000), but with RT it's disappointing (>150.000) - that's as bad as RPi3. I know, soft stepping should work fine, but in reality it does not.

More
03 Aug 2020 20:24 #177082 by tommylight
Are you going to be using a parallel port for machine control ?

More
03 Aug 2020 20:51 #177091 by twoflowers
Yes. My plan was to use LinuxCNC for lectures. Reuse the old computers, organize some cheep chinese CNC mills and get the students busy. And I definitly want to stay away from GRBL.

More
03 Aug 2020 21:09 #177094 by tommylight
There is always the option of using LinuxCNC in simulation mode, so it does not need real time kernel and can not drive the machine, but everything else works, like running gcode and having it visualised on screen, playing with settings, changing and monitoring hal stuff, etc.
It also has some tool changers and 5 axis machines visually represented so you can view what the machine is doing, again on screen on a separate window.
As for machine control, the cheapest solution is using parallel ports, and there are add on PCI or PCI-E parallel port cards costing from 15 to 30$, There are Mesa boards that can work as two or more parallel ports on one card, but are much, much faster and can be programmed for a lot of stuff, like: stepgens, PWM, encoder counters, inputs or outputs on any pin that is not in use by the fore mentioned, etc. They are also very cheap compared to what they are capable of, starting at 69$, if i remember correctly, and they come in PCI, PCI-E, or ethernet variants.

More
03 Aug 2020 21:20 #177099 by twoflowers
Simulation is OK, but I need to move something. Otherwise, the whole problem would not exist in the first place :)

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds