Buildbot & RTAI ?

More
03 Aug 2020 22:15 #177116 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
There was no cheaper times for CNC in the history of human kind, so there are no excuses not to dive in, head first. ! :)
For anything from 100$ and up one can coble together a working machine.
I like the idea of teaching young generations about everything, especially for tech stuff, so do not hesitate to ask, we will gladly help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2020 03:23 #177166 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
There is RTAI experimental kernel available here:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI

More
04 Aug 2020 12:15 #177224 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
The one in the temp should be new, but do not take my word for it as i did not check the docs in a long while.

More
12 Aug 2020 20:43 #178055 by lrak
Replied by lrak on topic Buildbot & RTAI ?
You might try in /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet text isolcpus=2,3"

Then run :
$update grub

Reboot and see what happens. It helped on the HP8300 I'm using - even with youtube playing a video it wasn't bad.

My understanding - which might be wrong - is that RTAI is married to an old kernel, updating it so it works with current versions is a HUGE task that takes developers away from improving other parts of linuxcnc. At some point, with hardware Ethernet cards, that are quite inexpensive in the bigger picture, should/will replace the old parallel port bit-banging approach. Mesa with a standard RT-kernel is what I am doing. Using Ethernet I/O also gives you a lot of noise immunity for free - should be a much more reliable system.

I used to sell and support a PP EPROM programmer with tight real time timing requirement - once we upgraded to USB - with an embedded processor (similar to using modern Ethernet boards) most support issues disappeared. What the developers did here - tweaking a kernel - training elephants to dance - was extremely impressive, but the effort required to keep RTAI going with newer kernels would consume vast amounts of time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, anfänger

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds