Installing Mint 19.3 & Linuxcnc

More
04 Oct 2020 02:25 #184773 by BeagleBrainz
Step 1: Check this post forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...aver-mint-iso#165631 for latest ISO.
Step 2: Download Latest ISO
Step 3: Write image to USB stick. Windows users are asked to use win32diskimager, it works.
Step 4: Make sure your target computer has an internet connection. Preferably a wired network, tho Mint supports many Wifi devices there still is some unsupported devices. Sorry I don't have a list of what is and what isn't.
Step 5: Boot with USB stick, choose the first option or let the boot loader timeout.
Step 6A: Click on the installer icon on the desktop.
OR
Step 6B: Have a play around, you can run a latency test, try one of the Linuxcnc sims without having to install anything to your hard drive.
Step 7: Have fun & send any feedback as without the help from users I really can't improve much.

When the time comes to create a user, do not select login without a password, some users have report issues with this option.
If the install fails at the stage were grub is being installed this is usually due to not having an internet connection. This is the default Mint installer.

Whilst the ISO has h2 in the file name it is perfectly good for standard PC systems. It is just the addition of the NIC drivers on the H2 board that make it suitable for the H2. Unless your PC has the same NIC as the H2 the drivers wont load as they are not need. Like about 80% of drivers supplied with most Linux distros.

Some notes regarding updating\upgrading:
1. All packages can be updated using the usual methods with one caveat, do not upgarde/update the kernel nor change the kernel unless you know what you are doing. For those that are using the Odroid H2+ this could mean a complete loss of network. The kernel supplied is quite ft for purpose.
2. Upgrading to Mint 20 has not been tested and personally it is not something I would do. If you do and break things you have been warned. Mint 19.3 is stable and there have been no issues reported as of yet.
3. So far I have not built Mint 20 packages nor setup a Mint 20 repo for Linuxcnc.
4. Do not add the buildbot repos, those packages are not 100% compatible with a pure Mint install, there are some differences in library versions that can cause trouble. I update the Mint Linuxcnc repos on either a Saturday or Sunday, from the github source.
5. Any issues at all please direct them to myself. Whilst we have permission to create these Mint respins, please make this your first port of call, not the Mint forums.
6. Any problems, enhancements or questions please ask.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 16:33 #184839 by tommylight
Just to make it a bit safer regarding upgrades, you can always do
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

never do
sudo apt upgrade

As that will replace the kernel and render LinuxCNC inoperable.
As for Mint 20, upgrading to it from 19.n requires way to many stuff to be installed and done, like a snapshot of the existing system, so takes at least 4 hours, while installing from scratch and adding everything required to run LinuxCNC takes about 40 minutes.
Mint 20 also uses Python3 and has no support for Python2, so will require a lot of stuff to be installed from other sources. hence the advice to keep using 19.3 and do the above dist-upgrades.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds