a start job is running errors while booting for first time.

More
16 Feb 2021 01:36 #199009 by sharpen047
Hey guys, been a while since ive used linux or my cnc but tried to start it today and found that everything was out of date and it basically butchered everything on my wheezy install. decided to bite the bullet and try 2.8 on debian 10. downloaded the ISO and had some issues with wifi, ran an ethernet cable for install and it installed correctly but first time booting gave me a raise network interface error.
reinstalled again and still has the same error saying
a job is running for network time synchronization
rcu_preempt detected stalls on cpus/tasks:
tasks blocked on level-0 rcu_node cpus 0-1 p15 (or p18 depending on specific boot?)
checked my bios date/time and its accurate.
i tried redownloading the iso, reflashed my usb stick and reinstalled
i downloaded debian 10 and tried to install via usb which went smoothly and no issues. booted in no problem. when i installed the real time kernel it gave the same error for network time synchronization.
system is an HP slimline sw3200n.
had my wheezy on this system controlling my g540 for years with no problems until this updat.
any help would be appreciated, Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2021 10:59 #199042 by tommylight
Try the Linux Mint install from installing LinuxCNC section of this forum.

More
16 Feb 2021 11:32 #199048 by BeagleBrainz
You're not running a Core 2 Duo by any chance ?

More
17 Feb 2021 14:56 #199159 by sharpen047
Will install Mint today.
the processor is an Athlon 64 x2.

More
17 Feb 2021 22:02 #199186 by sharpen047
okay so tried to install mint, even the live usb setup, X keeps going to a black screen then brings up the monitor from sleep then goes blank again. xfce and mate versions both did this.
at this point i was suspecting a hardware fault even though id used debian 7 for several hours the day before.
i downloaded wheezy again and installed with no issues. booted up with no issues and even opened linuxcnc with no issues. although i still have no wifi because my usb wifi dongles are all too new for wheezy.
id like to use the new stuff because i know that wheezy is not going to be supported much longer and am at a point where i am erasing my hard drive but will need to rely on this pc for my machine.
since wheezy works, i can only assume that software is the culprit or my hardware is too old.

More
17 Feb 2021 23:58 - 18 Feb 2021 00:06 #199202 by BeagleBrainz
Wheezy went end of life at least 18 months or so ago. That doesn't mean you will be left with a brick.
As long as Linuxcnc is still building packages for Wheezy you'll be fine.
The Linuxcnc team are still building packages for Ubuntu Precise, so I don't think Wheezy will be cut any time soon.
Put it this way, hardware surviving, 15 years down the track Wheezy will still run your machine, there's no in built timer that will stop Wheezy from working.

The solution for wifi is to search for what wifi dongle works with wheezy and have a look at the various sites for one. The only difficult bit with Debian in that respect is finding the correct firmware.

I stll use Sneakernet for transferring files even tho I have dongles that work with my machine.

It could be something related to your MB, sometimes the Big Boys, do weird stuff with their machines. Without being to sit in front of your machine and seeing what happens under Mint it's hard to diagnose. But making a hap hazzrd guess, I'm think of a kernel config issue.

So for the time being, to save your sanity and keep the machine working stick with Wheezy, it works and I guess you have had no issues, apart from attempting to upgrade ?

For Buster give this a try for a base install of Buster, can't guarantee that it will work........
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...d64-xfce+nonfree.iso
Last edit: 18 Feb 2021 00:06 by BeagleBrainz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpen047

More
18 Feb 2021 00:34 #199212 by sharpen047

Wheezy went end of life at least 18 months or so ago. That doesn't mean you will be left with a brick.
As long as Linuxcnc is still building packages for Wheezy you'll be fine.
The Linuxcnc team are still building packages for Ubuntu Precise, so I don't think Wheezy will be cut any time soon.
Put it this way, hardware surviving, 15 years down the track Wheezy will still run your machine, there's no in built timer that will stop Wheezy from working.

The solution for wifi is to search for what wifi dongle works with wheezy and have a look at the various sites for one. The only difficult bit with Debian in that respect is finding the correct firmware.

I stll use Sneakernet for transferring files even tho I have dongles that work with my machine.

It could be something related to your MB, sometimes the Big Boys, do weird stuff with their machines. Without being to sit in front of your machine and seeing what happens under Mint it's hard to diagnose. But making a hap hazzrd guess, I'm think of a kernel config issue.

So for the time being, to save your sanity and keep the machine working stick with Wheezy, it works and I guess you have had no issues, apart from attempting to upgrade ?

For Buster give this a try for a base install of Buster, can't guarantee that it will work........
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...d64-xfce+nonfree.iso

unfortunately some of the features i was hoping for were easier to setup if i had internet. i have a comfast brand cf-wi810n wifi usb dongle that works in every other linux discussed here which is why i was trying to update in the first place. the driver i need is available for newer versions very easily, but a few people have told me it is a pain in the butt to install on wheezy. i have several different dongles but all seem to be the same situation( i am told because its an 802.11n or a/c dongle). in any case, any of these other versions work with internet out of the box, wheezy is the exception and is also my only option it seems.
thanks for the help everyone

More
18 Feb 2021 01:32 #199215 by BeagleBrainz
Alot of wifi dongles need firmware and or drivers that aren't part of Debian's philosophy. Usually you need to install the "non-free" packages.
The best thing to do is look up Debian's official guides to getting wifi going. usually you can find $2 dongles on ebay that will work with Debian. I bought a bag of five for about AUD $10 about 12 months ago.

Actually if you are using and need RTAI stick with Wheezy, otherwise you will need to compile Linuxcnc from source......and it would be best to check with Andy with regards to the RTAI kernel for Buster.......there were some issues and I don't know if they have been resolved yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpen047

More
26 Feb 2021 00:13 #200145 by andypugh

.there were some issues and I don't know if they have been resolved yet.

I ran out of steam on that.

But it seems solid when running LinuxCNC. It just sometimes crashes the kernel when shutting down.
And I mean 1 time in 1000 sort of "sometimes"

More
26 Feb 2021 00:37 #200150 by scotth
Running Buster 2.8.1 needed WiFi and went with BrosTrend AC120. It did not run with the Buster install. Dealer support was super the tech installed Linuxcnc on his system to see what was happening and worked it out. Now running WiFi with Ethernet for 7i76.
I have all the notes if needed.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds