a start job is running errors while booting for first time.

More
26 Feb 2021 21:24 #200235 by andypugh
A good choice for a WiFi dongle would be one sold for use with the Raspberry Pi, as those run Debian by default.

I have a couple that (pretty much) just work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2021 15:12 #200702 by robertspark

A good choice for a WiFi dongle would be one sold for use with the Raspberry Pi, as those run Debian by default.

I have a couple that (pretty much) just work.

good tip

More
03 Mar 2021 20:17 #200935 by sharpen047
the wifi module is from a pi kit. canakit brand kit. it does run under live and under normal debian but booting and installing seems to be the problem. ive since tried all of these on two other completely different systems and have the same issues. so the hostname and job errors persist even on a completely different intel based system.

being fed up, i tried to install back to weezy but still cant make any progress even with running exactly that before but from another image many years ago. nothing seems to be working. redownloaded multiple versions checking with md5, trying with different usb dongles and sd cards to boot from etc. no luck so far.
so three different pcs completely. not even sharing internet or any hardware or boot devices etc. nothing

More
03 Mar 2021 20:29 #200937 by andypugh
One common factor here is your network.

Is something like MAC filtering preventing connection from all these PCs?

More
03 Mar 2021 21:09 #200941 by sharpen047
no, this original pc was already on the network with a different wireless adapter i was borrowing. i understand that can have the ip change but also works if i run this pc under windows with this new wifi dongle. its an rtl8188eu chipset but im having "frontend" errors and cant install anything under the installed linuxcnc 2.8 live image has installed. wifi does not work but does under the normal buster live on the same dongles etc.
so currently have a running linuxcnc install that has been updated and upgraded as of this morning.
synaptic shows firmware-realtek is installed, but wifi doesnt find anything when scanning.
currently hardwired into my network trying to get it running

More
03 Mar 2021 21:23 #200943 by tommylight
I get the waiting error/warning exclusively due to partitions missing after install, easily fixed by editing /etc/fstab
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpen047

More
03 Mar 2021 22:56 #200954 by andypugh

so currently have a running linuxcnc install that has been updated and upgraded as of this morning

Some progress, at least.

Which installer did you use?

More
04 Mar 2021 00:14 #200967 by sharpen047
same installer as last time on a different pc. latency is over 50k but need to see if i can get my machine back at all since none boot on my previous machine.
if progress is getting to where i started, sure. i really hope i can run with this setup.
not being able to setup any new software or hardware is discouraging though. i still have hal stuff to learn and setup spindle speed and was looking into mesa cards which i know nothing about yet.
i seem to chase problems with other problems here haha. sarcasm aside, i really do appreciate the help from everyone though.

More
04 Mar 2021 00:20 #200969 by andypugh
You _could_ try the old Wheezy machine with the experimental RTAI installer. (The Wheezy image was RTAI-based).

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI

The starting-point for that is a stock Debian installation, which I think you reported as working OK?

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds