Buildbot + Debian 11 / Bullseye Questions

More
11 Oct 2021 10:49 #222838 by rodw

I think the right path forward is work with the Debian guys to have a deb for 2.9 branch published in the debian repos.

There is work currently being done to achieve this.

Awesome news Phill. We really need a Debian 11 deb file available before then though.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/1298

Might be closer than we think. Nice! But get it hosted on Debian!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2021 22:31 #222877 by phillc54

Might be closer than we think. Nice! But get it hosted on Debian!

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ions?start=20#222725

More
13 Oct 2021 23:12 #223046 by andypugh

With the release of Debian 11 (Bullseye), I think there is now no need for Linuxcnc to distribute software on ISO's. Instead, I think the right path forward is work with the Debian guys to have a deb for 2.9 branch published in the debian repos. My understanding of the repos is that all of the required dependencies are then deployed when the user types

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc
Or use Synaptic to install it
 If this was done, our software could be installed (on kernel 5.10 and above) in 3 steps
1. install the preempt_rt kernel

Actually I think that it should be a single step. The kernel will come in as a dependency. 

There is (suddenly) a whole lot of activity on this as someone from the Debian side has taken an interest. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
15 Oct 2021 10:00 #223187 by rodw

With the release of Debian 11 (Bullseye), I think there is now no need for Linuxcnc to distribute software on ISO's. Instead, I think the right path forward is work with the Debian guys to have a deb for 2.9 branch published in the debian repos. My understanding of the repos is that all of the required dependencies are then deployed when the user types

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc
Or use Synaptic to install it
 If this was done, our software could be installed (on kernel 5.10 and above) in 3 steps
1. install the preempt_rt kernel

Actually I think that it should be a single step. The kernel will come in as a dependency. 

There is (suddenly) a whole lot of activity on this as someone from the Debian side has taken an interest. 

Andy, thanks very exciting news. I was not game to ask that the preempt_rt kernel was treated as a dependency!

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds