Buildbot + Debian 11 / Bullseye Questions

More
11 Oct 2021 10:49 #222838 by rodw

I think the right path forward is work with the Debian guys to have a deb for 2.9 branch published in the debian repos.

There is work currently being done to achieve this.

Awesome news Phill. We really need a Debian 11 deb file available before then though.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/1298

Might be closer than we think. Nice! But get it hosted on Debian!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2021 22:31 #222877 by phillc54

Might be closer than we think. Nice! But get it hosted on Debian!

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ions?start=20#222725

More
13 Oct 2021 23:12 #223046 by andypugh

With the release of Debian 11 (Bullseye), I think there is now no need for Linuxcnc to distribute software on ISO's. Instead, I think the right path forward is work with the Debian guys to have a deb for 2.9 branch published in the debian repos. My understanding of the repos is that all of the required dependencies are then deployed when the user types

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc
Or use Synaptic to install it
 If this was done, our software could be installed (on kernel 5.10 and above) in 3 steps
1. install the preempt_rt kernel

Actually I think that it should be a single step. The kernel will come in as a dependency. 

There is (suddenly) a whole lot of activity on this as someone from the Debian side has taken an interest. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
15 Oct 2021 10:00 #223187 by rodw

With the release of Debian 11 (Bullseye), I think there is now no need for Linuxcnc to distribute software on ISO's. Instead, I think the right path forward is work with the Debian guys to have a deb for 2.9 branch published in the debian repos. My understanding of the repos is that all of the required dependencies are then deployed when the user types

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc
Or use Synaptic to install it
 If this was done, our software could be installed (on kernel 5.10 and above) in 3 steps
1. install the preempt_rt kernel

Actually I think that it should be a single step. The kernel will come in as a dependency. 

There is (suddenly) a whole lot of activity on this as someone from the Debian side has taken an interest. 

Andy, thanks very exciting news. I was not game to ask that the preempt_rt kernel was treated as a dependency!

More
26 Oct 2021 19:48 #224417 by Joco
in the mean time ... we build debs.     And on that I have just gone through this whole process to get a Dell Optiplex 960 running Deb11 and Lcnc 2.9pre deb installed.  I did builf the docs and found  a missing dependency that did not seem to have been solved from the original apt get install lists.
netcat
was missing.

More
11 Nov 2021 20:54 #226140 by bevins
I installed Debian 11 Bullseye and got the rt kernel. no issues so far. Got the sources and went to compile a deb and it is failing with whats in the pic. Anyone know what's going on?

Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2021 21:07 #226142 by andypugh
My fault. Pull and try again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

More
11 Nov 2021 21:25 #226144 by rodw
Bevins, there has been changes to the deb build process so Linuxcnc can be included in the Debian repos. I found one issue which was reported and resolved. If you see some errors about permissions add -rfakeroot  to the build package command

Andy, for some reason I've noticed some commits changing the docs are not flowing through to the web site docs. it would be good if that could be done so that change is reflected in the docs.

Anyway, the amazing thing is that linuxcnc is sitting in the debian in queue for inclusion in debian 12!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bevins

More
11 Nov 2021 21:40 #226146 by bevins

My fault. Pull and try again.

Thanks, got through that point.

More
11 Nov 2021 22:24 #226153 by bevins
IT compiles  but installs with errors and linuxcnc wont run. Fails with missing rtapi.conf.

I did build with uspace but it had a weird message saying about building with uspace for display or something weird.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds