LinuxCNC 2.82 fails to install

More
09 Dec 2021 23:30 #228747 by elf
LinuxCNC 2.82 from linuxcnc.org/downloads/ fails to install.  The computer is a NUC Celeron N4020: www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY8LDGX

The first error is failure to find wifi driver: The missing firmware files are: brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt.  I have put this file on a FAT formatted USB stick in the top level folder as well as in a brcm folder.  If I put the stick in the USB port which the install is using, the install still fails to find the file and also will fail to read the install iso later.  When it's in a different USB port, it fails to find the driver.  If I select "No" it still tries to configure the network, which of course fails.  Selecting 'Do not configure the network at this time' allows the install to continue until it gets to Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk.  Failure is final at this point since it cannot boot to the Linux drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2021 00:17 #228750 by tommylight
Disable secure boot in BIOS.
Might want to disable UEFI also.
None of that will help with drivers, so try:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...rd-new-windows-users

More
13 Dec 2021 01:17 #228976 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC 2.82 fails to install

Disable secure boot in BIOS.
Might want to disable UEFI also.
None of that will help with drivers, so try:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...rd-new-windows-users

Seems odd that the driver is a .txt file. I would check that out. You should need a .so or .ko

More
13 Dec 2021 01:54 #228983 by tommylight
What am i missing?

More
13 Dec 2021 04:05 #228988 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC 2.82 fails to install

What am i missing?

he said  brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Dec 2021 08:12 #229104 by elf
Replied by elf on topic LinuxCNC 2.82 fails to install
I've tried several different versions of how to enable wifi with broadcom chips. None have been successful. The live download version of LinuxCNC identified the chip as brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio, while the Debian version doesn't identify it.

Installing the Debian version went well using the instructions linked above except for booting. There is no option in the bios for secure boot. Install fails if the boot partition is selected. It succeeds if the install partition is selected, but this requires booting from the usb flash drive. I then have to navigate through the boot menu to "Find Grub" then hit enter to actually boot into Linux.

More
15 Dec 2021 08:28 #229105 by ALittleOffTheRails
I think the best option would to use a supported USB wifi or ethernet dongle during installation.

Or you can try this:
www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-l...5610625/#post5741365

More
31 Dec 2021 23:57 #230423 by elf
Replied by elf on topic LinuxCNC 2.82 fails to install
After multiple install attempts which included wiping out the dual boot windows partition and ending up with only UEFI shell, I've managed to get LinuxCNC installed. I installed Windows 10 Pro as one of the fixes for the wifi issue was to copy the drivers from Windows. Unfortunately, the wifi was failing in Windows 10 Pro where it hadn't failed in Windows 10 Home. The Windows install did create a new (working) MBR, so the full Debian install worked. Unfortunately, it ended up without a GUI :( I reinstalled using the LinuxCNC iso, which worked quite nicely. Unfortunately, the wifi still didn't work. I did find a copy of brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt online and copied that to /lib/firmware/brmc, but still no wifi. The commands: dmesg | grep brcm
dmesg | grep -i sdio
showed a clm_blob file also needed to be installed. After copying that to /lib/firmware/brmc and rebooting the wifi is working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Jan 2022 09:11 #230438 by chris@cnc
For this could be helpful to add the non-free option in source.list. You can install the driver with your apt manager.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds