LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New/Windows Users

More
05 Sep 2021 13:17 - 26 Nov 2021 19:51 #219668 by snowgoer540
Attached is an Installation Guide that I created to walk a user through an installation of LinxuCNC using MX Linux 19.4.It is geared toward new users, and users who are familiar with Windows. The forum wouldn't allow me to upload the guide as one file, so I've chunked the installation guide in to 4 parts.

I've also included a quick guide I created for a user on the forum that showed how to set the IP address on a Mesa 7i96. This process will be similar for all Mesa ethernet cards, but consult the appropriate manual for the exact jumper to change. This step should be performed before proceeding with the user guide as the IP addresses in the guide will be incorrect otherwise. The main point of this jumper change is to prevent the Mesa card from conflicting with any WiFi cards.

This user guide is broken up into 15 sections with a bonus section for Tommy:Sections 1-7 are required.Sections 8 is optional if the user does not wish to use a Run In Place installation of LinuxCNC.Sections 9 is optional and demonstrates how to restore a previously working LinuxCNC configuration using QtPlasmaC as an example.

Sections 10-11 are optional and demonstrate how to turn off the screen saver, and how to set the GRUB chooser so that the user doesn't have to wait for it to time out during boot.

Sections 12-15 (and bonus) are optional depending on the user's preferences. They mainly deal with making MX Linux feel more "Windows Like".

Bonus Section for Tommy should he decide to give MX Linux a go :) others may find it useful as well.

I intended for this guide to be as simple and painless as possible. It's been vetted by myself and a few others now but there are bound to be small mistakes I've missed. I'll do my best to update any major issues anyone finds; feedback is also welcomed.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2021 19:51 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid, RotarySMP, phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, beefy, hottabich, AlekseySP, spumco, gitin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2021 15:58 #219681 by tommylight
Nicely done, Maestro !
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
07 Sep 2021 12:18 #219845 by ytiuqibu
Thanks for this.
Is it limited to machines with a Mesa card installed?

More
07 Sep 2021 12:38 #219847 by snowgoer540

Thanks for this.
Is it limited to machines with a Mesa card installed?

You're welcome.

Nope, it's not limited to Mesa cards. If you don't have a mesa card, from Section 4 you can skip steps 3 through 5 and also steps 11 through 13. Additionally you can skip Sections 5 and 6.

I can update these sections to make that more clear, thank you for the feedback.

More
22 Sep 2021 19:30 #221366 by billykid
i installed today and sim works however i don't know how to install hostmot2 for my 5i23. I will have become stupid with age :-)

More
22 Sep 2021 20:37 #221373 by snowgoer540
The 5i23 should work fine.  I didn’t have to install anything additional to use the 5i25 that drives my table.  Are you encountering an error of some kind?

More
22 Sep 2021 20:44 #221374 by billykid
i don't have hostmot2 i /lib/firmware..I don't remember how to install the package .. i can't find it

More
More
22 Sep 2021 21:14 #221377 by billykid
I understood how it works Tom I cutter and plasma working in closed loop. in this mx19 installation there is no hostmot and I don't remember how to install it.

More
22 Sep 2021 22:34 #221383 by tommylight
Hostmot2 or mesaflash?
Pretty sure hostmot2 is just a copy/paste affair followed by loadrt in .hal, while mesaflash can be found as a binary and started as a normal program or downloaded from git, compiled and installed.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds