LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users

More
05 Sep 2021 13:17 - 26 Apr 2023 13:29 #219668 by snowgoer540
Attached is an Installation Guide that I created to walk a user through an installation of LinxuCNC using MX Linux 19.4.It is geared toward new users. The forum wouldn't allow me to upload the guide as one file, so I've chunked the installation guide in to 4 parts.

I've also included a quick guide I created for a user on the forum that showed how to set the IP address on a Mesa 7i96. This process will be similar for all Mesa ethernet cards, but consult the appropriate manual for the exact jumper to change. This step should be performed before proceeding with the user guide as the IP addresses in the guide will be incorrect otherwise. The main point of this jumper change is to prevent the Mesa card from conflicting with any WiFi cards.

This user guide is broken up into 15 sections with a bonus section for Tommy:

Sections 1-7 are required.

Sections 8 is optional if the user does not wish to use a Run In Place installation of LinuxCNC.

Sections 9 is optional and demonstrates how to restore a previously working LinuxCNC configuration using QtPlasmaC as an example.

Sections 10-11 are optional and demonstrate how to turn off the screen saver, and how to set the GRUB chooser so that the user doesn't have to wait for it to time out during boot.

Sections 12-15 (and bonus) are optional depending on the user's preferences. They mainly deal with making MX Linux feel more "Windows Like".

Bonus Section for Tommy should he decide to give MX Linux a go others may find it useful as well.

I intended for this guide to be as simple and painless as possible. It's been vetted by myself and a few others now but there are bound to be small mistakes I've missed. I'll do my best to update any major issues anyone finds; feedback is also welcomed.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2023 13:29 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billykid, RotarySMP, phillc54, tommylight, Clive S, beefy, hottabich, AlekseySP, spumco, ExcessiveO and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2022 20:13 - 10 Jun 2022 20:13 #244902 by snowgoer540
I separated and locked this topic as some of the comments were contradictory/confusing.

If you have any questions, either start a new topic, or continue adding to this one:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...new-users-discussion

Last edit: 10 Jun 2022 20:13 by snowgoer540.

More
17 Sep 2023 00:18 #280962 by tommylight
Snowwy, can we unsticky this, i think it's time?
It served us good, but we have to part ways .... :)

More
19 Mar 2024 20:25 #296344 by acourtjester
I am on a new install as instructed above and cannot get the RT files loaded as shown in the screen shot below.  this is procedure I followed Section 4 - Required - Configure MX Linux 19.4 OS (cont.)17. Enter the following command: sudo apt update Note: The user will be asked to input the user password (which will not show up when typed in) 18. Enter the following command: sudo apt upgrade --fix-missing Note: Enter a “Y” if prompted “Do you want to continue? [Y/n]”19. Enter the following case sensitive command: sudo apt install linux-image-rt-amd64 Note: Enter a “Y” if prompted “Do you want to continue? [Y/n]”20. Enter the following command: sudo shutdown -r now Note: The computer will now reboot21. After reboot, open a new terminal window and enter the following command: uname -a Note: The results must contain “rt” in the kernel name similar to the picture below.f the results do not show this, follow the steps on the next slide.and the next page too step 4 does not show the RT files to change the boot option 

Attachments:

More
19 Mar 2024 23:01 #296347 by snowgoer540
Looks like you installed MX Linux 23 which is based on Bookworm instead of 19.4 which is based on Buster.  To my knowledge MX Linux 23 does not have a "rt" kernel.  

I am not sure the reason you strayed from the doc to 23 instead of 19.4, but if you are looking for something newer than Buster and wanted to stay with MX Linux, you could do MX Linux 21, based on Bullseye.  

That said, most of my dev work is done on 19.4, and my plasma table also runs 19.4.  That said, I know nothing about your setup :)

More
19 Mar 2024 23:42 - 19 Mar 2024 23:43 #296351 by acourtjester
Thanks for the reply    I just followed the instructions above and that is what was downloaded, not a lot of experiences with LinuxCNC. If you have a different step to get the version you use Please give me the instructions and I will be happy to redo the install.
I did have a setup with Debian 11 and QTPlasmaC and there seem to be a bug as I had to do a work around (turn off THC and Arc Ok) so I could cut a project.
drive.google.com/file/d/1NmO-lchR3Nk8uSa.../view?usp=drive_link
drive.google.com/file/d/1mTytmUI8LUFoJ-7.../view?usp=drive_link
Last edit: 19 Mar 2024 23:43 by acourtjester.

More
20 Mar 2024 00:02 #296355 by phillc54
It looks like the link to the ISO gets corrupted in the PDF and it then points you to the latest version.

Try this one:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Old/MX-19.4/MX-19.4_x64.iso/download

The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
20 Mar 2024 01:10 #296357 by snowgoer540
Thanks Phill.

This is interesting, I opened the Install Guide 1, and clicked both links on page 3, and they both take me to the correct place.  I am using Adobe Reader though, I wonder if it has to do with whatever program opens it?  

My favorite thing about computers is how they all work the same 

More
20 Mar 2024 02:19 - 20 Mar 2024 02:30 #296363 by acourtjester
Thanks Phill
I will give that a try in the morning.
AS usual you guy are very helpful, I will report my progress.
I just went to the page listed on the first instructions I followed and here is what I show from that site
The "/Old/MX-19.4/MX19.4_..-19.4/MX19.4_x64.iso" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file.
I now have the correct ISO downloaded Things are looking up 
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2024 02:30 by acourtjester.

More
20 Mar 2024 03:47 #296370 by phillc54
I don't have Adobe Reader...

On my Mac in both Safari (browser) and Preview (file viewer) if I click the link then copy/paste  the result is:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Old/MX-19.4/MX-

If I highlight all the text  then copy/paste the result is:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Old/MX-19.4/MX-
19.4_x64.iso/download

It obviously puts a newline where the link is split.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds