Installation Nightmare! All out of ideas! :-(

More
11 May 2022 02:31 - 11 May 2022 03:00 #242556 by SimonCNC123
Hi Folks, can someone please confirm that this 'www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.8.2-buster.iso' download actually works? I have been struggling for weeks to get it installed. I have tried a Beelink PC, and two different Dell Laptops, one of which is now bricked. I have tried different SD cards, USB drives, new downloads. I have tried using Rufus and Win32DiskImager, I have tried using the complete disk, I have tried partitioning the disk... and I keep failing at the same place in the installation on ALL the devices! When I get past the disk partitioning section of the install, it starts installing the OS for about 20 seconds then crashes with an error that just says that there is an error, no more info! I am at my wits end with this now!
ANY suggestions GREATLY appreciated! I understand that I am probably  making the same mistake on each machine! If someone could possibly spare me a few minutes for a zoom meting or similar and step through the process with me, that would be amazing! :-)
Last edit: 11 May 2022 03:00 by SimonCNC123.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2022 04:33 - 11 May 2022 06:08 #242569 by SimonCNC123
 Ok, I am trying to re-install again, I am at the point where it is about to partition the disks, I have the question whether to 'Force UEIF installation'. I have selected 'Yes'
Attached are images of the disk partitioning and the error that I get. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 May 2022 06:08 by SimonCNC123.

More
11 May 2022 07:47 #242586 by robertspark
where are you in the world?

linuxcnc is not recommended for laptops due to inbuilt power saving and or CPU throttling.... you can try it but "it's not recommended"

cannot see how you can brick anything just installing an OS onto a drive.

are you in the UK or somewhere else?

More
11 May 2022 07:59 - 11 May 2022 08:07 #242588 by SimonCNC123
I'm in Australia, I managed to recover the laptop, it was giving me a 'Bad partition error', with everything I tried on startup.
I get the exact same error as the image when I try to install onto the BeeLink Mini PC, the install fails at the same step!

I'll give up on the laptops then and focus on trying to get the BeeLink to install.

Last edit: 11 May 2022 08:07 by SimonCNC123.

More
11 May 2022 08:48 #242594 by SimonCNC123
Ok, I am trying to install onto the BeeLink PC, this is the drive partitioning, can anyone tell me if this is ok or what I need to change please?
Attachments:

More
11 May 2022 09:35 #242599 by rodw
My thought is that the hardware you have is not supported on Debian buster. I simply refuse to use it anymore for this reason.

Anyway you have no doubt become pretty adept at installing an ISO by now. 

On your BeePC, try this alternative ISO which is Debian 12 Bookworm with the non free firmware.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...ng-amd64-netinst.iso

Be sure to burn the ISO using Rufus.

After you get linux installed, at a terminal  prompt type the  following line

sudo apt install  linuxcnc-uspace linuxcnc-uspace-dev mesaflash

Then go and have a coffee. On your return, reboot into the PREEMPT_RT  kernel and linuxcnc should be in a menu somewhere. BUt you can  run it from a terminal prompt by typing : linuxcnc

More
11 May 2022 09:38 #242600 by tommylight
DO you have anything important on those drives?
If not, let it partition stuff automatically, so choose "use entire drive" or similar.

More
11 May 2022 09:48 #242604 by SimonCNC123
Thanks, I'll try that now.

More
11 May 2022 09:51 #242605 by SimonCNC123
I'm not having any luck with that link!

More
11 May 2022 09:54 #242606 by rodw

I'm not having any luck with that link!

Sorry, its on this page
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/no...builds/amd64/iso-cd/

If you get stuck I am in brisbane and you can contact me at vmn.com.au

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds