Installing LinuxCNC 2.9 or Master on Linux Mint 21

More
18 Jun 2023 13:30 - 18 Jun 2023 14:43 #273778 by Aciera
Thanks tommy, I know I might have come across as somehow having an issue with using debian bookworm, I don't and I am not suggesting that new users should go back to mint.
I'm just trying to figure out if I can keep running my machines on mint because it has always been good to me and I like it and because running bookworm is giving me issues on the installed hardware.
The only issue with mint for me was the python >=3.11 hurdle and that may have turned out to not be a hard requirement after all the headache trying to get it.
So I was wondering if there was an actual reason why 3.10.6 would not be working because it seems to be working perfectly on my mill now.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2023 14:43 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2023 13:52 #273781 by tommylight
No worries, i am still running Mint on all but one of my machines.
Now, since it is officially on Debian, i am slowly switching to it, just need to make a script to install all the stuff i need in one go, and more importantly to remove some stuff before going online, i hate geoclue, it is a location service running on Mint and Debian.
Hexchat, Rhythmbox, flatpak, tomboy notes, libreoffice, orca screen reader, etc have to go, i never use them and they take quite some time to update, when i occasionaly do update.
I always install FreeCad as i got pretty good at it, Blender (still trying to learn it), Inkscape is a must for plasma, and some other stuff that i also rarely use but i like having them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyCNC

More
18 Jun 2023 15:31 #273786 by cmorley
If you compile you can even use python 3.8.10. Python 3.11 seems to be a packaging requirement not a compiling requirement. it used to be easy to change it now it seems to read to python version of the system when building the deb, rather then using a minimum version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Aciera

More
09 Aug 2023 01:29 - 09 Aug 2023 01:33 #277389 by rabler
I have to admit that I struggled a bit to wade through this nearly year-long thread, apologies if I missed something.
Has anyone figured a way around the python3.11 issue for Mint (which I'm using elsewhere too) and LinuxCNC 2.9?  Is building from 2.10 an option on mint?  Or do I need to use Debian?

2.8.4 is not an option, at least not without some real contortions, due to missing kernel modules to support a more recent AMD GPU.

root@vmc:/home/rabler# uname -v
#35-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_RT Tue Jan 24 11:45:03 UTC 2023

root@vmc:/home/rabler# apt install linuxcnc-uspace
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linuxcnc-uspace : Depends: python3 (>= 3.11~) but 3.10.6-1~22.04 is to be installed
                   Depends: libboost-python1.74.0 (>= 1.74.0+ds1) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libboost-python1.74.0-py311 but it is not installable
                   Depends: libpython3.11 (>= 3.11.0) but 3.11.0~rc1-1~22.04 is to be installed
                   Recommends: hostmot2-firmware-all but it is not installable
                   Recommends: linux-image-rt-amd64 but it is not installable
                   Recommends: python3-pil.imagetk but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. 

Last edit: 09 Aug 2023 01:33 by rabler. Reason: clarity

More
09 Aug 2023 01:37 #277390 by tommylight
Not bothering with this anymore since LinuxCNC is officially in the Debian repos and Debian has a Mate edition, so it is the same thing, granted Mint is still somehow much faster at booting.
Get the Debian 12 BookWorm Mate edition ISO, i am pretty sure you can install Mint-Y-blue or whatever Mint theme you want, so it even looks and feels the same.
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-liv...2.1.0-amd64-mate.iso
The following user(s) said Thank You: rabler

More
09 Aug 2023 02:22 #277393 by cornholio
I don't seem to have too much trouble building the most recent git pull of 2.9 on Mint 21 Vanessa.

More
09 Aug 2023 02:43 #277396 by rodw

Not bothering with this anymore since LinuxCNC is officially in the Debian repos and Debian has a Mate edition, so it is the same thing, granted Mint is still somehow much faster at booting.
Get the Debian 12 BookWorm Mate edition ISO, i am pretty sure you can install Mint-Y-blue or whatever Mint theme you want, so it even looks and feels the same.
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-liv...2.1.0-amd64-mate.iso

Start here for a Debian 12.1 config and select mate instead of xfce if you must:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
I just built a Debian 12 box on my work PC and am finding Cinamon to be quite nice too.

More
09 Aug 2023 02:49 #277397 by cmorley

I have to admit that I struggled a bit to wade through this nearly year-long thread, apologies if I missed something.
Has anyone figured a way around the python3.11 issue for Mint (which I'm using elsewhere too) and LinuxCNC 2.9?  Is building from 2.10 an option on mint?  Or do I need to use Debian?

2.8.4 is not an option, at least not without some real contortions, due to missing kernel modules to support a more recent AMD GPU.

root@vmc:/home/rabler# uname -v
#35-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_RT Tue Jan 24 11:45:03 UTC 2023

root@vmc:/home/rabler# apt install linuxcnc-uspace
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linuxcnc-uspace : Depends: python3 (>= 3.11~) but 3.10.6-1~22.04 is to be installed
                   Depends: libboost-python1.74.0 (>= 1.74.0+ds1) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libboost-python1.74.0-py311 but it is not installable
                   Depends: libpython3.11 (>= 3.11.0) but 3.11.0~rc1-1~22.04 is to be installed
                   Recommends: hostmot2-firmware-all but it is not installable
                   Recommends: linux-image-rt-amd64 but it is not installable
                   Recommends: python3-pil.imagetk but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. 

You can't seem to specify the python minimum version anymore on the build system.
You would need to compile linuxcnc for mint. (I still use compiled 2.9/master for older Mint)
I bet after that you could use linuxcnc to make a mint deb. IIRC the python version is pulled from the deb making system.

More
09 Aug 2023 03:56 #277398 by cornholio
Just rebuilt Linuxcnc 2.9 on a stock Mint 21 system, no issues.
Have done this in the last 2 couple of days on both Vanessa & Vera.

More
03 Sep 2023 00:38 #279686 by cmorley
The trick to a deb is to compile debian on the system, it seems. you used to be able to set the python minimum directly but now it seems to pull it from the system.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds