Installing LinuxCNC 2.9 or Master on Linux Mint 21

More
12 Jan 2023 13:24 #261695 by tommylight
Been to long, but i do recal one of those does floating point calculations while the other does not. No idea as to why or how, i forgot.
One remark, if you plan on using the parallel port, test for base period as that limits the amount of steps per second produced, coupled with step timings.
Last 3 years i have moved to Mesa ethernet boards for everything, so no need for base period and latency is not an issue anymore as most new-ish PC's are OK, although some are useless, had one of those.
Still, the amount of tweaks you and NTULINUX figured out is astonishing, thank you all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stanislavz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2023 15:27 #261700 by Stanislavz
Re-run servo only with 25000 period - core load is same as from base thread if run together with serve thread. Around 35-36%. So it may be the same.

Why i am on parport ? Because i can. And it do remember me, 20 years ago - you can't scroll pdf document fast (On celeron 300 ). Today - also. And adobe reader is a big Reader today.. but pc power is much better today. Reason - too much crap in software, because it still work. And it can be easier to sell. You buy for 80% of features which will not be needed :)
F35 have ~11 milion lines of source code and runs on three paralell os..

Sarcastic developer remembering his childhood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Jan 2023 15:46 #261702 by tommylight

Why i am on parport ?

I did not ask, i absolutely love parallel port since the days of bad floppies and parallel being very good at transferring data very fast for the time. FX.exe ??? Anyone? :)

F35 have ~11 milion lines of source code and runs on three paralell os..

That is why they never work, cost extortionate amounts of money, and orders getting canceled daily! The culmination of "get some engineers from (enter 3'rd world country) to build the most complicated (insert equipment/project/software of choice)" then present that to public as "the best thing since sliced bread" and subsequently failing monumentally, while people end up with the bill showed so deep down their throat ....
F35 would have been much better if they used 11 parallel ports, it would work and work reliably! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stanislavz

More
12 Jan 2023 16:20 - 12 Jan 2023 16:23 #261707 by Ismacr63
Do you know if it is possible to install linux mint 21 and linuxcnc 2.9 rtai kernel?
Last edit: 12 Jan 2023 16:23 by Ismacr63.

More
12 Jan 2023 16:35 #261708 by tommylight
I did try on Mint 19 and it worked, i did not try on Mint 21 so i do not know if it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

More
12 Jan 2023 16:52 #261712 by Ismacr63

I did try on Mint 19 and it worked, i did not try on Mint 21 so i do not know if it works.

I have tried to install it but the system does not boot. I still haven't installed the correct files...

More
12 Jan 2023 22:25 #261749 by Stanislavz
Does it show anything ? Grub menu ? Some lines after it ?

More
12 Jan 2023 23:04 #261752 by Ismacr63

Does it show anything ? Grub menu ? Some lines
after it ?

I can select the kernel in the grub menu and I get this message:

Kernel doesn't support EFI handover

More
13 Jan 2023 06:01 #261776 by Stanislavz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

More
13 Jan 2023 09:02 #261783 by Ismacr63
I've been looking at it, but I don't know how to do it. 

with the rt kernel I have a lot of latency. 

With the rtai kernel I have good latency on debian booster and I want to test it on linux mint.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds