Comparing RTAI and RT

More
27 Oct 2022 19:00 #255222 by seuchato
Hi all
I have a friend of mine, low budget guy, very much into rc-modelling. He is about to buy my 1600x690x350 mm3 router. Old, yes, but works reliably for me. I have an optiplex 980 as controller. It is driven by a cheap parport based 5-axis board. Used to drive it for many years off a DDR2 based wheezy 386 running as far as I remeber RTAI. I had it on 3000 mm/s on all axes. When a bearing on X broke, I had to reduce to 2000 mm/s. No problem for me, but it hit me, the same time, I changed from RTAI (probably wheezy based, EMC 2.7) to RT 2.8.x. So, now I ask myself:  How does RTAI vs RT compare for parport based controllers?
I am aware of these threads:

Mint, being nice, still ain't my long time love. So, I'd look for a way to use - preferrably - RTAI and RT on the same or twin systems. I'd love to post reliable results to compare the two real time approaches.

Greez
chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2022 20:22 #255237 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Comparing RTAI and RT
RTAI is better for parallel port on older PC's
On some new PC, RT will be just as good for everything.
New PC's are a cr@p shoot, had one with utterly useless latency, have some with perfect latency.
There is an RTAI kernel that Andy made available here
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI
-
If that does not work, try downloading the packages and installing them using gdebi
linuxcnc.org/temp/
first and last two files.
Beware that it is the 2.8.n version so it is OK for running machines, but there is no 2.9 version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds