upgrade to hardy 8.04 and emc2 2.3.1 not working

More
11 Jul 2009 13:19 #514 by BigJohnT
steve10778 wrote:

hello to all, here is my status as of now,,

1. i set my home sequence as follows, axis-0, 0 axis1,1 axis-2, 1 axis-3, 1., but i still dont get the home all option.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//gui_axis.html#r1_3_5

If your machine has home switches and a homing sequence defined for all axes the button will read "Home All". The "Home All" button or the Ctrl-HOME key will home all axes using the homing sequence. Pressing the HOME key will home the current axis, even if a homing sequence is defined.

steve10778 wrote:

2. Home_final_vel, this doesnt seem to work either. i set this to .5 for axis 1 and 2, z axis doesnt get moved for home, home is where ever same with a axis.

Does it go to fast or too slow or not move at all during the final move to the home position? Can you tell us what you expected to see and what you did see? "Doesn't Work" is very tough to diagnose.

steve10778 wrote:

3. most important, i am having major issues when i try to run a program. first lets start with what does work, i can home all axis, jog, mdi etc. computer mouse response is fast. i can run the axis logo program fine. (there are no tool changes, remember this because i think its related) .
now i can run all example programs and get prompted for tool changes when i run axis.sim.

on my machine, when i try to run chips3d.ngc, i get no motion, no prompt for tool changes, and the computer gets glitchy and slow. if i hit stop, and go to mdi, i can type in machine movements and nothing happens. emc status shows it is at t1m6. i can however jog and rehome the axis, but no programs will run after this happens. below please find my dmesg results. can the developers or someone look at this and see if my install is messed up? i also made the mistake of saying 2.3.1, but i believe it is 2.3.2. i am going to go and try to comment out # anything that is for the 4th axis, because i am not using it and see if that has any effect. i think my problem may be in my ini file , what do i need to have in my ini for hal manual toolchange, and also in the hal load file, i am using the ppmc axis , on a 3 axis bridgeport. if you need any other info to investigate this problem please ask. my personal email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. also. i can also give my phone number out if anyone cares to talk in person. I would really like to get my machine back up and running., i new i was taking a risk when i updated, but i didnt think it could be so hard ooops

reposted,,,,, trying to reformat the whole mess and start over. if that doesnt work i may try putting 6.06 back on and then updating emc? i dont know how this got so far off. let me know if you guys have any ideas...

thank you!

steve
steve@cncmill:~$

Steve, it sounds like your missing some part of the toolchange. I don't have a reference to what you need at the moment but you can create two simple configs with the stepconf wizard one with and one without the tool change and note the additions to the one with. I don't see any reason to go back to 6.06 as from your descriptons all your problems are in your configuration.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2009 20:24 #516 by steve10778
hello all, and big jon thanks for the help up to this point,

i reinstalled/reformatted and just started over, i did try ubuntu 8.04 one more time, my live cd has emc 2.3.0 on it. after commenting out all i/o and hal components related to the 4th axis, and setting up my pin logic for the limits etc, and entering all of my machine specific parameters on my ini files, i have so far a working machine that homes properly. I was able to get hom_sequence to work properly, and home_final_vel to work properly. Home_final_vel was glitchy however, for some reason it didnt take on the y axis, and it was typed exactly as it was on the x axis, so on a hunch i copy and pasted HOME_FINAL_VEL= 1 from the x location and pasted it in the y location, and it worked. hmm. im happy with that so far.

now i want to set up axis's manual toolchange function. im going to try to emulate what i see on the sim ini files,. i will post back with how that works.... i did try to run chips3d.ngc from the example files and i still have the problem of that program not running, and im not sure why it wont run just yet. i did populate the tool table with arbitrary diameter values for tools 1-4, and length values as well to see if that corrected the problem, but when i try to run it just locks the computer up. the axis intro screen program runs fine. any ideas?

as far as updating emc to emc 2.3.2, what is the safest way to do that without an internet connection? I can take the computer into the house and plug it in and run synaptic, should i do that and just update the emc package? is it wise to NOT update anything in ubuntu to avoid programs stealing my par port or other issues? or should i just let synaptic update all packages it finds?

im pretty happy so far with the machine homing again and the final home vel working, better than this week. my install must have gotten messed up some how. sometimes you just have to go to square one.

im going to play around now and see if i can get hal manual toolchange to work, i will post back with my results.

if anyone can answer my above questions i would appreciate it. things are going pretty good now.

thanks again everyone

steve schaeffer

More
11 Jul 2009 21:02 #517 by steve10778
john,

after playing around a bit, it appears i do have some kind of problem with the toolchange. I put HALFILE= AXIS_MANUALTOOLCHANGE.HAL in my .ini file, and copied the toolchange file from sim and put it in my configs/ppmc folder so axis could find it. it doesnt work, and it is interesting if i start up axis, and home everything as i mentioned i can run the axis default program. Then if i go to mdi, and do a move, say g1f10 x1y1z1, that will work, then i do T1

nothing happens, the comp gets slow..
if i do a g1f10x0y0z0, no movements. it just locks up. at the bottom of the axis gui, it always says NO TOOL. any ideas? everything has been pretty cut and dry this time, and im sure i havent messed anything up., i dont know what to do know, maybe there is a bug here? can anyone else tell me if they are using axis and they MDI a toolchange T1, does that work? or do you have to do a m6 t1? it just doesnt want to play nice;)

i can however "home all" after this happens, but no mdi movements work.. something gets screwed up when i try a tool change. help is needed

thanks,

steve schaeffer

More
11 Jul 2009 21:14 - 11 Jul 2009 21:16 #518 by BigJohnT
steve10778 wrote:

now i want to set up axis's manual toolchange function. im going to try to emulate what i see on the sim ini files,. i will post back with how that works....

Steve, I did add a bit to the manual on adding the HAL Manual Tool Change window.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_hal-examples.html#r1_1

steve10778 wrote:

as far as updating emc to emc 2.3.2, what is the safest way to do that without an internet connection? I can take the computer into the house and plug it in and run synaptic, should i do that and just update the emc package? is it wise to NOT update anything in ubuntu to avoid programs stealing my par port or other issues? or should i just let synaptic update all packages it finds?

I just let synaptic update everything it sees except the Ubuntu version.

steve10778 wrote:

im pretty happy so far with the machine homing again and the final home vel working, better than this week. my install must have gotten messed up some how. sometimes you just have to go to square one.

im going to play around now and see if i can get hal manual toolchange to work, i will post back with my results.

if anyone can answer my above questions i would appreciate it. things are going pretty good now.

thanks again everyone

steve schaeffer

Glad to hear you are making progress.

John
Last edit: 11 Jul 2009 21:16 by BigJohnT.

More
11 Jul 2009 21:23 #519 by steve10778
well i got it working!!!

i think the problem is a lack of documentation , but i was able to figure it out by looking around. others may have problems, and it sure took me a while. I had to take a break for a while and start over today.,

here is how i got axis manual toolchange to work,

i added these to my .ini file

Halfile= axis_manualtoolchange.hal
TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION= 0 0 2 (not sure if this is required)

in my ppmc_load.hal folder i added
net tool-prep-loop io control.0.tool-prepare io control.0.tool-prepared
net tool-change-loop io control.0.tool-change io control.0. tool- changed

i saw this before, but i wasnt sure if it was just for the simulation program to work. i tried it on a hunch and i can mdi a tool change, and run the example programs. woohoo

NOW, SHOULD I LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE, OR SHOULD I UPDATE TO 2.3.2? WHAT IS THE SAFEST WAY TO DO IT? im going to go look at the bugfix report to see if anything looks important to me....

thanks

steve

More
11 Jul 2009 21:38 #520 by steve10778
john,
i would like to call you or could you call me, 330351 2224 is my number, or send me yours and i will call you. if you arent open to that i understand also.

also, could you clean up the posts by eliminating the dmesg stuff, unless you think it is of value, for the other guys.

it doesnt look like too many people are using the forum yet, how long has it been up?

im going to make copies of my config folder to back everything up, this is a milestone for me. haha. i may try to update by taking the comp inside on an internet connection.

now i think i want to play around with the pyvcp stuff, i want to make the DRO bigger, so its time to hit the books. i know i know i cant leave well enough alone now.

thanks for the help..

steve

More
12 Jul 2009 12:53 #522 by BigJohnT
Hi Steve,

I cleaned up the dmesg stuff. The forum has been up for a short time so there is not many users yet.

I did add a section about the HAL Manual Toolchange window which shows both setups with and without to the manual.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_hal-examples.html#r1_1

As you found out you need to connect the internal tool change circuit for EMC to work if a tool change is in the code. This will just ignore any calls for tools and blast right by. This is ok for testing but if your program really has different tools you will not have the chance to change them unless you set up the HAL Manual Tool Change Window as show in the example. If your lucky and your BP has something other than R-8 tooling and you can set and strore the offsets then you can run programs with multiple tools.

2.3.2 will get you all the bug fixes since 2.3.0 came out. This is a list of all the releases

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Released

I know it is a PIA but I do the same I just unplug my plasma cutter computer and bring it inside to get updates. There is a way to do it without a network connection but I can't find it at the moment.

John

More
12 Jul 2009 14:29 #523 by BigJohnT
Steve,

You can download the .deb and copy it to a USB stick to upgrade the computer in your shop

linuxcnc.org/hardy/dists/hardy/emc2.3/bi.../emc2_2.3.2_i386.deb

You should be able to just click (or dbl click depending on your Ubuntu settings) on the .deb file to update to 2.3.2.

John

More
13 Jul 2009 14:32 #529 by steve10778
thanks for the help john,
i have a bridgeport with r8 tooling, but i would still use the offsets for a job with multiple tools, using end mill holders or shaft collars works for me., so i can set all my tools up ahead of time. the other way i do it is running until the tool change, then i just stop the program and touch off, then restart.

i updated the computer, i just lugged inside, but i will remember the other method using a jump drive.

thanks for helping out., i have a little problem with my z axis drive that i have to look at, then i think i will be in good shape. (servo is overheating)

thanks

steve

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds