Update error

More
06 Mar 2024 01:13 #295277 by pgf
Replied by pgf on topic Update error
Please be assured that we're on the same side. I want linuxcnc to be easy to install for everyone, not just me. I've been using linuxcnc since the EMC days -- and to the project's credit, I don't really feel the need to upgrade that often, and so when I do, I don't expect it to be pain free. I didn't this time, and I wasn't disappointed. ;-)

That being said, there's no mention of the issue on the download page, nor on the release announcement page. So "we have told you" isn't really true, for those of us that aren't reading the forum and announcement threads regularly. I found out because this thread showed up in a google search for the failure, and then I posted thinking I was contributing new information to a work in progress. (Only to be told, "it's not a bug". So if my tone a bit "off", forgive me. :-) )

paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2024 02:20 #295281 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Update error
Downloads page should say:
-download Debian BookWorm version of your liking, burn to USB, install, reboot
-open a terminal and type
--sudo apt update
--sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace
-reboot
DONE!
The same works for Linux Mint Debian Edition 6.
Warning in red:
-some GUI included in LinuxCNC have issues on Wayland, so choose Xwayland at login screen or choose a Debian version with X11 like XFCE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, cornholio

More
07 Mar 2024 08:32 #295379 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Update error

Downloads page should say:
-download Debian BookWorm version of your liking, burn to USB, install, reboot
-open a terminal and type
--sudo apt update
--sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace
-reboot
DONE!
The same works for Linux Mint Debian Edition 6.
Warning in red:
-some GUI included in LinuxCNC have issues on Wayland, so choose Xwayland at login screen or choose a Debian version with X11 like XFCE.

The version installed using this method is over 12 months old so will be quite buggy and missing a lot of features. A better way is to run the script mentioned in the 2.9 Getting Linuxcnc document at Heading 7.3. It will get and install the current  2.9.2 debs from the Linuxcnc repos. I would expect it to work on Mint too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Mar 2024 10:55 #295390 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Update error
Ok, so the Debian repository is still lagging behind?
Either way, i do not think most users need latest features, but bug fixes are important, so using the script seems preferable.

More
07 Mar 2024 13:25 #295406 by rodw
Yes, I may have fixed it but its too late to wait until its built tonight. It seems the debian repositories contain a version of live-build from Feb 2023 (Debian 12.1 which had the bug) 
I cloned the live-build  package source and got a version from May 2023.
So clearly Debian's apt upgrade let us down as the repositories were not kept up to date
I am not seeing raspi-firmware being installed in the logs
I need to remove the code where I attempted to supress it so need to build it again before sharing

This will be built on Debian 12.5 so there will be no upgrades required. Give me a day or so and I weill share a new version it as I am away until Sunday Afternoon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgf, my1987toyota

More
07 Mar 2024 13:26 #295407 by rodw

Ok, so the Debian repository is still lagging behind?
Either way, i do not think most users need latest features, but bug fixes are important, so using the script seems preferable.

I think the devs gave up trying to update it. So many issues to get it past the Debian Gatekeepers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
07 Mar 2024 20:10 #295425 by rodw
Please wait 20 minutes for the upload to finish and try the ISO here
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t5u1HDaL...j7lNq5HP?usp=sharing

Linuxcnc has not changed but it is the latest Debian 12.5 and it does not contain raspi-firmware

The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds