2.9.2 LinuxCNC Dell XPS 15 loading ramdisk - out of memory

More
09 Jun 2024 18:44 #302699 by YEG
After a bit more troubleshooting I think I've figured it out. Thanks Corn and Tommy for setting me on the right path, it looks like it was in fact due to the 4k display. Appreciate your patience and sorry for not reporting/conveying the errors I got clearly, as mentioned before I'm very new to linux after 15 years of exclusively using windows, still learning the way of things.

I tried reverting back to a clean debian 12 install and this time noticed that  6.1.0-18 would launch fine but 6.1.0-21 would crash with the same ramdisk error. Launched into 6.1.0-18, edited the grub config with "GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480", ran update-grub, and it booted into 6.1.0-21 just fine. After that ran "sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace".

6.1.0-21-RT now launches with no issues, jitter values are about the same as I saw from the live USB: ~250k-300k max jitter as long as I don't adjust brightness/unplug the power supply. Enough for me to play around and get my machine setup but I will definitely be looking use a more stable computer in the future. Really appreciate the support from you guys even though this wasn't really a LinuxCNC issue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2024 12:19 #302753 by cornholio
Not too sure if that kind of latency will be good enough, you may just get "following errors" when connected to real hardware. With those latency figures I would not attempt to run anything except a sim config (which is a simulation not talking to real hardware) to test some gcode.

When it's said laptops aren't a good candidate, it's gospel. So if you get any errors when trying to setup a system with the laptop, especially with that kind of latency, the advice you will get is to get a PC.

I think one user mentioned some slight success with an old ThinkPad, but wouldn't use it to actually run a machine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds