Having trouble with install using latest Live CD

More
02 Feb 2011 15:32 #6959 by justinbowser
I am currently running a 2.2x version on UBUNTU 8.X and decided to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I have downloaded the Live CD image and burned it to a CD. I can boot up, select the install icon, answer all of the questions, and after step 7 it just goes back to the desktop and sits there. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance...

Justin B.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2011 15:56 #6960 by andypugh
I seem to recall there is an "Install" option in the boot menu? Is that what you are using? (Also, I don't know how destructive that option is)

dmesg might give a clue as to what the problem is. Admin rights issue?

More
02 Feb 2011 16:26 #6961 by justinbowser
I booted to the "Live CD" and the only icon on the "desktop" was to install so I double-clicked it, went through the "7 steps", and at the end it just went back to the desktop with no further messages. I will see if there is an install option on the boot menu. As with 8.04 do I press <esc> to get to the menu? The user I was logged in as had admin rights...

More
02 Feb 2011 17:02 #6963 by andypugh
It's been a while, but I thought that the LiveCD gave you the option to boot or install when used as a startup device.

I assume that when you reboot you end up back in 8.04?

More
02 Feb 2011 17:16 #6965 by justinbowser
Yeah, wind up with previous version (which I have been using for a couple of years) even if I tell it to install along side. The side-by-side option results in it going through the motions of re-partitioning, etc., then finishes with the same result. When I reboot, grub only shows 8.04 boot entries...

I will look for a boot option off the CD this evening...

More
02 Feb 2011 20:57 #6966 by justinbowser
OK, tried it after selecting the install option from boot menu and got a usrsetup error box after selecting keyboard. Maybe I should just stick with 8.04 and put a newer version of EMC on it? Is there a "package" I can download that will upgrade just the EMC software to the latest?

More
02 Feb 2011 21:17 #6967 by andypugh
It seems like it ought to be easy:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?UpdatingTo2.4

The only advantage with the 10.04 installation is multiprocessor support (and a different colour scheme)

More
02 Feb 2011 21:40 #6968 by justinbowser
OK. I'm running 2.2x so I found the docs on updating to 2.3 and will do that first then go to 2.4 if that goes OK.

More
02 Feb 2011 23:48 #6969 by BigJohnT
If your using a very old PC I would boot from the 10.04 LiveCD just to check that the hardware is ok with Ubuntu.

John

More
03 Feb 2011 00:55 #6971 by justinbowser
John,

I had booted with the Live CD and the Ancient One seemed to be happy enough! ;-) I have left Ubuntu 8.04 in place and upgraded EMC to 2.3, ran through the stepconf program, and EMC crashes when trying to launch the configuration generated by the wizard but I can still launch with my previous config files. As soon as my fingers thaw out I'll go back out to shop and attempt to capture the error display...

Justin

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds