Having trouble with install using latest Live CD

More
03 Feb 2011 02:09 #6972 by justinbowser
OK, I was able to get the file created by stepconf to run - to make a long story short it was confused by the name having a space in it.

After getting it started, though, the lathe x or z axis will not move. I suspect that it might be because there is no provision in the stepconf wizard to define the x and z enable signals? If I manually edit the file and add these lines the program is extremely unhappy and will not start. :-\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2011 09:19 #6973 by andypugh
justinbowser wrote:

EMC crashes when trying to launch the configuration generated by the wizard but I can still launch with my previous config files

Is there any reason not to just run with the previous (working) config files?

More
03 Feb 2011 12:15 #6974 by Rick G

More
03 Feb 2011 13:49 #6977 by justinbowser
Some forum searching/reading seems to confirm my suspicion that I get no motor drive due to no xenable or yenable entries in the config file created by stepconf.

Andy-I wanted to use the wizard because I just replaced the 10 pitch leadscrew on my CNC conversion lathe to a ballscrew with a strange pitch and I thought it would be easier to set up and tune it with the wizard.

More
03 Feb 2011 16:19 #6980 by andypugh
justinbowser wrote:

Some forum searching/reading seems to confirm my suspicion that I get no motor drive due to no xenable or yenable entries in the config file created by stepconf.

Should be an easy fix then. If you want to pastebin the hal file we can have a look.

-I wanted to use the wizard because I just replaced the 10 pitch leadscrew on my CNC conversion lathe to a ballscrew with a strange pitch and I thought it would be easier to set up and tune it with the wizard.

Actually, it would have been a simple case of editing one parameter in the INI file.
( [Axis_2] SCALE in fact)

More
04 Feb 2011 18:13 #6991 by justinbowser
I just about have things configured to my liking. I think that maybe stepconf has a bug or a shortcoming. With the older EMC I manually edited the HAL file for the xenable and zenable values and stepconf appears to use amplifier enable and does not offer the ability to assign which pin to which axis since they all get written to the HAL as xenable. This necessitates having to modify the HAL after every stepconf session and change the appropriate xenable entry to zenable.

Is there a way to make HAL and ini changes manually and "fool" stepconf into thinking there has been no manual editing?

More
04 Feb 2011 18:53 #6993 by andypugh
justinbowser wrote:

I just about have things configured to my liking. I think that maybe stepconf has a bug or a shortcoming. With the older EMC I manually edited the HAL file for the xenable and zenable values and stepconf appears to use amplifier enable and does not offer the ability to assign which pin to which axis since they all get written to the HAL as xenable.

This is a bit odd, and I can't actually think of any reason to have separate enables for each axis.
Note that the signal names (the first word after a net command) are actually completely arbitrary and have no meaning at all to EMC2.

I thought that this had been sorted out though.

In most cases using axis.0.amp-enable to enable all amplifiers will be perfectly sensible and OK.

More
04 Feb 2011 19:14 #6994 by justinbowser
I suppose I could get into my driver box and wire the enable lines for all f the driver boards to one enable signal. I am just left with two questions:

1. Can I make this manual HAL edit "stick" so future stepconf sessions doesn't wipe it out?

2. I did not see anywhere in stepconf where backlash can be specified and do not see it in the .ini created by stepconf. Is the backlash parameter somewhere else now?

Thanks for the help!

Justin B.

More
04 Feb 2011 19:26 #6995 by andypugh
justinbowser wrote:

I suppose I could get into my driver box and wire the enable lines for all f the driver boards to one enable signal.

That is more economical in pins. Alternatively just put all the pins to be set on the same net line as the one that works.

1. Can I make this manual HAL edit "stick" so future stepconf sessions doesn't wipe it out?

No, but you can put extra HAL in custom.hal, and that won't be over-written.
delsig yenable
delsig zenable
net xenable parport.0.pin-YY-out parport.0.pin-ZZ-out
Or something along those lines.

I did not see anywhere in stepconf where backlash can be specified and do not see it in the .ini created by stepconf. Is the backlash parameter somewhere else now?

I think backlash counts as "advanced configuration". You can add it in custom.hal too.
Personally I just accept that stepconf gets a config going as a one-time thing, then edit the more advanced stuff in by hand.
Once you get used to HAL is is fairly simple, and immensely powerful.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds