Additive Manufacturing vs 3D Printing

More
26 Dec 2022 21:46 #260349 by Bari
When this forum got started I thought that people would share their ideas and tech for additive manufacturing using LCNC vs just their CNC thermoplastic extrusion printers.

When you hear the term "3D printer" what comes to mind?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2022 23:41 #260361 by tommylight
3D printer?
Disease! Hoarding! Lack of space! :)
I have 12 of those, only 1 is SLA still new and newer used as i can not find resin for it.
The FDM ones, some i built myself, despite having bought 11 but gave away 5 to friends who have kids so they can play and learn something new.
so
Disease = since i keep building more, just got my hands on an Octopus with 8 of TMC 2208 UART drivers, like 40 minutes ago!
Hoarding = i do not have space for them, i have to get 4 from the shop home since the moisture there is to much. I do not have use for all of them.
Lack of space = see above! :)
While typing this was watching 3D printing nerd on youtube about printing ceramics with FDM. And no, he is not good for anything 3D printing but has access to new stuff.
Personally, i think by now everything has already been done related to 3D printing, but bringing it to masses was about 20 years late.
As far as i am aware, there are members using LinuxCNC for 3D printers, one or two using it for laser sintering but not much info here, and someone using it for "jet metal bonding" or however it was called, Crank Town City on youtube uses it for everything even 3D printing with a CO2 welder.
I had an FDM with LinuxCNC but needed the drives so i went the arduino mega/ramps route.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari

More
26 Dec 2022 23:58 - 27 Dec 2022 00:04 #260363 by Bari
Thank you for the laugh!

I have been using LCNC for all types of additive manufacturing systems for over a decade. SLS, SLA, mSLA/LCD/DLP, inkjet, extrusion etc etc.

sls4all.com/ doing it the hard way.
discord.com/invite/qDFNFASM57 SLS invite to Discord SLS project that can use LCNC almost immediately, but the devs want to use some sort of cnc glue gun controls with klipper. Gluttons for punishment I say. (BigTreeTech board SKR 1.4 Turbo and Raspberry Pi 4B (2GB RAM at this moment).

SKR lp17xx may be ported to Remora or might already work. LCNC with a GUI might be nicer. The design may be pretty easily converted to a binderjet or multijet fusion printer. The powder bed and spreader isn't that bad. LCNC can easily run either.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 00:04 by Bari.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Dec 2022 00:18 #260365 by tommylight

I have been using LCNC for all types of additive manufacturing systems for over a decade. SLS, SLA, mSLA/LCD/DLP, inkjet, extrusion etc etc.

I am pretty sure you mentioned this before, but i still do not believe a thing! No pictures/video, so never happened! :)
-
P.S.
that is a joke, i consistently keep forgetting to take pictures and video of my stuff, shame on me! :)

More
27 Dec 2022 00:34 #260366 by Bari
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Dec 2022 01:45 #260369 by tommylight

one or two using it for laser sintering but not much info here,

Oh, so that was you ! :)

More
27 Dec 2022 02:04 - 27 Dec 2022 02:08 #260370 by Bari
I don't understand why some people prefer

imgur.com/Ng3VPb3

vs LCNC that gives you

imgur.com/RhCBjtd
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 02:08 by Bari. Reason: the lovely editor

More
27 Dec 2022 02:23 - 27 Dec 2022 02:28 #260371 by Bari
www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/f...ditive-manufacturing

"Additive manufacturing (AM) or additive layer manufacturing (ALM) is the industrial production name for 3D printing, a computer controlled process that creates three dimensional objects by depositing materials, usually in layers."

But, when you mention "3D Printer" most people think it is just a FFF/FDM thermoplastic extrusion type printer.

When someone says "CNC Machine", do most people think that it is just a mill or lathe and not a wide range of computer controlled machines?

I am not sure today. That is why i am asking a group of CNC users, engineers and machinists.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2022 02:28 by Bari.

More
27 Dec 2022 12:14 #260390 by tommylight
Yes, 3D printer means FDM for most people as that is what they see on media.
CNC is where i live plasma or laser cutter, very rarely a mill.

More
27 Dec 2022 16:35 #260407 by cakeslob
camufacturing.com/aplus/
This is a company from the next city over to me, I really want access to this mastercam Additive manufacturing add-on. Basically regular mastercam, but combined with 3d printing slicing/toolpathing. I know you guys dont like mikkkro$haft related stuff, but mastercam is a very powerful cam tool. I also cannot find any 3dprinting cam software that would function on the level similar to cnc cam, where I can select geometry and make the toolpath. This is the closest thing I have found so far.

remora supports both the skr1.3/1.4 and the octopus board, tommy get in on this remora shit,.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds