network interface down after boot

More
08 May 2022 21:09 - 08 May 2022 21:10 #242325 by jangybe
Hi. I am on my way to setup ethercat with linuxcnc. I managed to get to the point where ethercat is working and now I am trying to connect it to linuxcnc... However, I suspect something is wrong and I would kindly ask for opinion: My computer has two ethernet interfaces. I use one for connecting to the internet and the other for ethercat. Every time I boot the computer, the internet connection works fine but I have to always manually bring up the interface that is used for ethercat. After I do this, everything looks ok. I tried all sorts of things to automatically bring up the ethercat interface during boot but nothing works. I also noticed that during the boot, the process of bringing up the interfaces take a bit longer than what I am used to (20 seconds). Does anybody know what could be wrong.

Thank you,
Jan
Last edit: 08 May 2022 21:10 by jangybe. Reason: forgot my name at the end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2022 02:52 #242344 by rodw

More
09 May 2022 16:59 #242395 by jangybe
I carefully followed your instructions when I first installed Ethercat. And I didn't have this issue for a while. Then, something changed and I don't know what. I once again made the udev rule but it didn't help. I am tempted to reinstall the whole thing but this is not the way to do it, I guess.

More
09 May 2022 18:24 #242400 by rodw
I'm sorry its not working for you.

I'm not quite sure on the detail, but the other way I fixed this before I worked out how to use the repo was to start the service on startup. 
The methods I found on google to do this involving a service file did not work for me so I probably upset the purists.
I gave my user rights to run sudo without using a password and started the service in my .profile file.

More
09 May 2022 20:51 #242410 by db1981
in the ethercat config file (etc/default/ethercat) exists an if up section, you can try to add your interface there to, to force an getting up from the interface.

More
10 May 2022 18:41 #242514 by jangybe
Thank you very much for your kind help. I now better understand what is happening. There is nothing wrong with Ethercat module but I obviously don't know how to setup the network interfaces properly. If I use Network Manager then everything works fine but when I uninstalled it, it stopped working - the network interface used for ethercat remained down during the boot. For the internet to work, I added the following two lines to /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

but to bring the other interface up (eth1) during the boot I would obviously have to do something else. I tried all sort of things but nothing worked. I would love to get rid of the Network Manager so if anyone has an idea what to do, I will remove the Network Manager again and try it out.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds