Any recommendations for a mini PC for an EtherCAT setup?

More
23 Nov 2022 21:44 #257520 by piflixe
In this youtube video the celeron J4125 got astonishing good realtime results.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2022 09:25 #257548 by rodw

In this youtube video the celeron J4125 got astonishing good realtime results.

Phew! I'm glad I did not sell you a bum steer!

I have never seen the GLUT error either. My guess is its an unsupported feature on Wayland graphics if you are using the default desktop. But its never been an issue for me.

On the logon screen, at the bottom right, you can select a different graphical environment if you installed one on installation.
If not, install xfce by typing: sudo tasksel and select it from the logon screen (you might need to sudo apt-get install taskselfirst)
This gives you the same environment on the linuxcnc ISO and uses Xwindows. You may need to select it from the logon screen.
(Tasksel might take a while... and I have no idea if this is a bum steer or not...)

More
24 Nov 2022 11:45 #257555 by rodw
Hmm, I upgraded my bookworm pc  with
sudo apt-get update  sudo apt-get ugrade

And I experienced the exact same behavoiur in the default graphical environment!

So I followed my own advice and installed xfce with tasksel and everything is perfect.
Just note you need to have your cursor in the password field and you will see a cog appear at bottom right, click on that to select xfce before logging in.

First time I've not been able to run  linuxcnc on the default Wayland Debian graphical environment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mwc

More
24 Nov 2022 18:06 - 24 Nov 2022 18:08 #257568 by mwc
Installing and changing to xfce now allows LinuxCNC to load, however in Gmocapy and GScreen, the graphics (machine plots) are just blank.
Axis loads OK with no errors.

A scan of the terminal output, it seems like there's still something missing, or something not the correct version.
I've attached the terminal outputs (I did try pasting them in as code, but I get a too many links error when trying to post with the output in the forum post).

If nobody has any more suggestions, I'm thinking I might do a clean install, but stick to Bullseye.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Nov 2022 18:08 by mwc.

More
18 Apr 2023 06:02 - 18 Apr 2023 06:33 #269352 by leexi
I am thinking to purchase . any advice,
I am looking it just for worth the price and industrial casse.

to be used on ethercat net 3 stepper drive and io-box on linuxcnc 2.8.4

this is a pcbox Intel Celeron J6412, 4 cores 4 threads, 1.5M L2 Cache, 2.0GHz, up to 2.60GHz

link.

www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832646600184....apt&_randl_shipto=US
Last edit: 18 Apr 2023 06:33 by leexi. Reason: to complete

More
18 Apr 2023 07:41 #269359 by rodw
I have used a similar PC and it should be ok but there are some tricks I have just got to the bottom of.
1, Install Bookworm
2. Install my 6.3 kernel (improves PC latency by 265%)
3. Install the R8168-dkms driver given the PC uses R8111 NIC's (improves network latency by 400%)

follow these instructions as it covers all of this...
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

The following user(s) said Thank You: leexi

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds