Ethercat drive configuration woes

More
06 Dec 2022 16:02 #258714 by wazza77
Yeah trying to do bit-banging in my head at 1 am isn't good, especially when trying to read code on the phone screen should heave looked a few lines above

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2022 17:27 - 06 Dec 2022 17:29 #258722 by mwc
I've just realised that about the enumeration.
I've now set all drives to 0, and they get allocated 1 to 3 (on their built in displays) when LinuxCNC starts.

That has possibly been one of my issues, but there seems to be some kind of mapping issue between the slaves, and LinuxCNC.

If I query the statusword register via the terminal (ethercat upload -p(N) -t int16 0x6041 0 where N is the slave id from 0-2)
At first reboot of drives and computer, it returns 0
Start LinuxCNC and let the drives enter OP, it returns 0x231 561
Then after closing LinuxCNC, it returns 0x0250 592

If I look at the lcec.0.N.cia-statuswords in Hal Config, they all show as zero.

This behaviour is consistent even after powering off everything off, and back on again.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2022 17:29 by mwc.

More
06 Dec 2022 19:14 #258727 by mwc
And I've just noticed the controlword doesn't appear to be getting written to the drive from LinuxCNC.

Without LinuxCNC running, I can set (download) the controlword (0x6040) (I tried 4 and 6), and then read (upload) that value back vai a terminal.
But with LinuxCNC running, reading 0x6040 via a terminal, it always returns 0, yet in Hal Config, it shows 4 or 6 (machine off or on).

It's like there is a big void of zeros in my mapping somewhere.

More
06 Dec 2022 19:39 #258731 by petervg
I just saw this topic and I think I'm using the same drives / clones. I'm testing out a leadshine CS3E-D1008 which seems to be exactly the same as yours. I have a setup up and running with an issue I'm trying to resolve with my distributor, but the drive is recognized and the motor is spinning (albeit not yet perfectly).

Anything I can send or test here to help out? I'm not using a PI though, but a freshly install debian 11...

Could you be so kind as to take a look at this post of mine to see if you have also experience the same (or might run into the same :-) ). I have used a part of your hal file to get going (posted separately as not to hijack this thread)
leadshine-cs3e-d1008-not-running-smoothly

More
06 Dec 2022 20:03 #258734 by mwc
I did look at the Leadshine drives, and they appear to have more functionality, but I was put off by the price for what is essentially just a test setup before committing to an EtherCAT servo setup.
Plus the fact it took Leadshine several days to respond to a price enquiry for some servo drives, and I still haven't had a reply with prices, yet I can always rely on Lichuan for a next day response.

I have had a look through the Leadshine manual (Always better than a Lichuan one!), and they are using different registers, and have more information LEDs on them.

I'm almost reaching the point of asking if there are any UK regulars who'd like a drive to try and get working, as I've spent days on this now.
I did finally get movement earlier, but I've not been able to repeat that :/

More
06 Dec 2022 20:14 #258736 by wazza77
I had a similar response from Leadshine and Lichuan was the right price and I received it 10 days after I ordered here in Australia from china which these days is a modern miracle

More
06 Dec 2022 20:56 #258740 by petervg
Mwoah.. not sure the leadshine manuals or software are any better. I'm giving some feedback to my distributor during my testing, and let's say that the "alpha" stage the software and manuals are in is justified...

More
06 Dec 2022 21:24 #258746 by mwc
Config files are attached, in case I've missed something blindingly obvious.
Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2022 21:51 #258755 by petervg
I'm taking a look and comparing with mine.

Maybe a dumb remark from my side. but you do know you are referencing a different XML file in your HAL (conf.xml) then the one you attached here (conf_2022-12-06.xml)?

More
06 Dec 2022 21:54 #258758 by mwc
I had issues uploading the files, so I'm assuming the forum software added the date to the name.

They definitely don't have the dates on the actual computer.
If they did, loading the xml would generate an error and stop LinuxCNC from loading.

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds