How to assemble the ethercat.xml file?

More
28 Jun 2023 17:48 #274409 by jrduarte
Hello, I'm starting to work on projects with Linux CNC, and I'm fascinated by the possibility of using EtherCAT network to control drives. I want to do a project with Omron servos, but I couldn't find any documentation that teaches how to assemble the XML file. How do I do that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2023 07:02 #274435 by besriworld
Check out this thread:
forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/22346-ethercat-hal-driver?start=0
You just have to follow the examples.
If you don't have any experience with Linux/LinuxCNC you will have a big learning curve
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT, jrduarte

More
30 Jun 2023 06:24 #274487 by CORBETT
@jrduarte
I am not sure which model of Omron amps you have.  Sashas's driver only supports the G5 series out of the box, any other models will require you to use the generic config or write a config for the driver.

Back in 2020 Arvid Brodin (arvidb) worked on the Omron G5 config and got it working.  Sasha accepted his code and added it to the driver.   The following is a link back when Arvid posted about it.
EtherCAT: How to use the dedicated OmrG5 lcec driver? - LinuxCNC

The following link is a simple XML file for the G5
linuxcnc-ethercat/examples/omrg5/omrg5.xml at master · sittner/linuxcnc-ethercat · GitHub

The following link is an example of the generic cofig XML 
linuxcnc-ethercat/examples/generic-complex/ethercat-conf.xml at master · sittner/linuxcnc-ethercat · GitHub
Go down to line 18 where "<slave idx="8" type="generic" is at and you will see roughly how it is mapped out from there. 

I am not sure how verse you are with LCNC, but as Besri stated there is a learning curve... especially jumping into EtherCAT as LCNC is lot to learn on its own.   Besri put you on the link where it all started, and there is a lot of info throughout.

I am rarely on here, but there are a lot of smart people here that will help you.... Dominik Braun (db1981) or Rod Webster (rodw) can help the most since you are working with E-cat.   Haven't seen Albert Chimeno (Chimeno) here in a good while, I think Grotius still gets on at times though.  Of course, there are plenty of others Tom Berisha (Tommylight) Andy Pugh (andypugh), Pete Wallace (PCW), and lots of other good people that I did not mention on here practically every day for years that will help you.   

Hope this somewhat helps,
Robert

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, jrduarte

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds