Git update: 1.14.3

More
01 Feb 2024 18:39 #292152 by scottlaird
The forum editor keeps eating my formatted text, so I'll stick to a summary here; there's a longer version on Github .
There have been 30-some Git changes merged in the past 2 weeks, including a driver for the Delta ASDA-A3 and -B3 servo drives (thanks GuiHue!).  This has brought our total number of devices up to 241, from 217 in 1.7.0.

There has been a ton of documentation changes.  See linuxcnc-ethercat.github.io/linuxcnc-ethercat/ for an index.  There's some documentation of our XML format as well, although it's still somewhat incomplete.  The Delta ASDA, EL7041, and EL4xxx drivers all have new documentation that lists parameters, pins, and options.

There's also API documentation generated by Doxygen.  It's not complete, but it's much better than what we had before.

SDO setting should be much more reliable now; previously we didn't actually report errors at the time that we set SDOs, which made for weird experiences.  Buggy drivers that don't actually register the number of PDO entries that they declare will now produce runtime errors instead of silent failure.

Drivers for "digital combo" devices from Beckhoff (EL1252, EL185x, EK18xx, EP23xx, etc) have been merged and cleaned up quite a bit.

There is now standard library code for Beckhoff-style analog in and out channels, joining the digital in/out library code from a few weeks ago.  EL3xxx has been updated to use it, and EL4xxx drivers have been unified as well.

There's a new library for doing generic string->int or string->double mapping, which is useful for <modParam> handling.  It also has unit tests, which none of our code previously had.

Upcoming

There's work in flight now to create a framework for CiA 402 devices without using "generic".  In some cases, this will make device support more reliable.  Generic will continue to be available.  There's a RTelligent ECT60 driver in progress that uses the new CiA 402 code, and we'll look at creating drivers for other CiA 402 devices.  There's a bunch of digital in/out work going on under the hoods to make digital I/O on CiA 402 devices easier.

See Github for a longer list of upcoming projects and more details on everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, 0x2102, besriworld, GuiHue, foxington, jjdege

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2024 08:28 #292198 by GuiHue
Replied by GuiHue on topic Git update: 1.14.3
Wow - one really needs to point out that this is entirely scottlaird's doing which is mighty impressive! Thank you!

More
02 Feb 2024 15:09 #292222 by jjdege
Replied by jjdege on topic Git update: 1.14.3
Hi Scottlaird
you inserted the EasyIO in the lcec, (thanks) I tried to make it work but it gives an error:

I called it that in the .xml
" <slave idx="3" type="EasyIO" name="MixedI/O"> "

Maybe it's not correct or something is broken

Thank you very much
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2024 23:14 #292261 by scottlaird
Replied by scottlaird on topic Git update: 1.14.3
It core-dumped? Hmm. That's not good.

I'll look into it in a couple hours. It's not a very big driver, so it's probably not hard to find.

More
03 Feb 2024 00:47 #292264 by scottlaird
I think I found it. Or, at least I found *a* bug that would cause it to core dump. There could be others as well. It should be released as v1.14.3 momentarily.

Apparently we were only at 1.14.2 before, so I mis-named this whole thread ;-).
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjdege

More
03 Feb 2024 01:00 #292266 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Git update: 1.14.3

Apparently we were only at 1.14.2 before, so I mis-named this whole thread ;-).

Let us know what it should be, we will gladly change it.
Thank you.

More
03 Feb 2024 03:07 #292272 by scottlaird
It doesn't matter, really. Apparently I should have called it 'Git update: 1.14.2', but that's pretty much trivial, and it's now correct enough anyway.

More
03 Feb 2024 08:35 #292284 by jjdege
Replied by jjdege on topic Git update: 1.14.3
Hi scottlaird
awesome that's all OP, you're great
I attach XML
thank you so much for your work

File Attachment:

File Name: ethercat-c...2-03.xml
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2024 10:17 #292294 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Git update: 1.14.3
OK.

More
03 Feb 2024 11:17 #292302 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic Git update: 1.14.3
Hopefully the correct place:
I have Delta A3 drives, so excited to see this update, but struggling

I installed LinuxCNC using 2.9.2 live ISO
Followed instructions in forum.linuxcnc.org/ethercat/45336-etherc...-how-to-step-by-step
Able to get Delta A3 to show up in "ethercat slaves"

Trying to run a simple config for Delta A3 resulted in:
lcec_conf: ERROR: unexpected node modParam found
lcec_conf: ERROR: unexpected close tag modParam found

So I figured I must not be using the correct ethercat driver source (the one mentioned in this thread)?

So I followed instuctions from:
github.com/linuxcnc-ethercat/linuxcnc-et...t?tab=readme-ov-file
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/keyrings/
wget -O- https://build.opensuse.org/projects/science:EtherLab/signing_keys/download?kind=gpg | gpg --dearmor | sudo dd of=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/science_EtherLab.gpg
sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ighvh.sources > /dev/null <<EOT
Types: deb
Signed-By: /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/science_EtherLab.gpg
Suites: ./
URIs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science:/EtherLab/Debian_12/
EOT
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) ethercat-master linuxcnc-ethercat

But this has caused issues:
mill@mill:~$ sudo apt update
E: Conflicting values set for option Signed-By regarding source http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/science:/EtherLab/Debian_12/ ./: /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/science_EtherLab.gpg != /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/science_EtherLab.gpg.key.binary.gpg
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Now Package manager won't run at all

I am pretty limited with this stuff. I'm essentially limited to copy and paste / follow directions.

Any help appreciated!

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds