Mesa 5i25 and 7176 getting started

More
08 May 2015 05:22 - 08 May 2015 05:29 #58497 by amhfabs
Hi Guys,

I'm really new to Linuxcnc and Linux for that matter, still finding my way around. I've just received my new mesa 5i25 pci card with 7i76 daughter board.

I've loaded linux 10.04 and linuxcnc with a live cd. I have then updated to Linuxcnc to 2.6 (forget the version).

I installed the 5i25 into the pci slot and powered on the system expecting to see at least 1 of the leds to power up... hmm nothing, so I load linux cnc, nothing... I then read about hostmot2 not having the 5i25 firmware?? god knows why? I downloaded a 5i25 firmware zip file, unzipped and placed it in the hm2 folder in the firmware file.

When I run the PNConfig I can see the options for 5i25 with 7i76, i go through all the procedures to set up a test machine etc. I can then open and run a test machine, but I there never seems to be any leds on the 5i25 card.

I must state at this point I haven't yet wired anything in, I've connected the 7i76 with the supplied cable, but I'd expect some sort of indication that things are ok before I wire in stuff to test.

Any pointers?
Last edit: 08 May 2015 05:29 by amhfabs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2015 05:40 #58498 by PCW
If you bought a 5I25 with a 7I76, the 5I25 will already have the proper firmware
installed so nothing need be done in regards to 5I25 firmware

The 5I25 has 6 LEDS

2 are basically error LEDS (/DONE and /INIT both red) These should blink briefly at power up,

There are 4 green user LEDs, these will only be illuminated if commanded
by the host.

So no LEDs on the 5I25 is a good sign

More
08 May 2015 13:26 #58505 by amhfabs
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I bought both cards together.

Regarding the /DONE and /INIT red led's, I've watched the card when the machine is powered up and nothing happens.

I will try to connect some inputs and outputs and do some bench testing.

I was wondering if it was possible to include the gmoccapy gui in the PNCconfig? At the moment I don't have the option. My end machine would ideally have the gmoccapy gui.

I think maybe 1 of the first things I might add is a simple MPG as this is the feature I'd really like to get working properly, mach3 didn't really cut it for me with the unreliable mpg, so I'm hoping linuxcnc will be better?

More
12 May 2015 03:43 #58573 by BigJohnT
You should just have to change one word in the ini file to switch... but there's no substitute for reading the manual.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/gmoccapy.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: amhfabs

More
12 May 2015 03:49 #58574 by amhfabs
Thanks for the info JT. Point taken, always read the manual ;) I will give it a go when I'm back into it

More
12 May 2015 04:47 #58577 by BigJohnT

I think maybe 1 of the first things I might add is a simple MPG as this is the feature I'd really like to get working properly, mach3 didn't really cut it for me with the unreliable mpg, so I'm hoping linuxcnc will be better?

The 7i76 has a MPG input, do you have a real 100ppr MPG? I have a selector switch for axes and one for increments, makes it easy to move around fast or with precision.

JT

More
12 May 2015 05:09 #58578 by amhfabs

The 7i76 has a MPG input, do you have a real 100ppr MPG? I have a selector switch for axes and one for increments, makes it easy to move around fast or with precision.

Yes I have a proper MPG hand wheel with 100 pulses per rev. The configuration you mention is what I'm looking to achieve. I also want to have selector switches for FRO and spindle speed over ride unless this can also be achieved by using the MPG also?

More
12 May 2015 18:33 #58594 by BigJohnT
You might take a look at my CHNC configuration files.

gnipsel.com/shop/hardinge/hardinge.xhtml

JT

More
13 May 2015 01:34 #58605 by amhfabs
Thanks for the link JT. They don't mean a whole lot to me at the minute as I'm not quite at that stage, however I'm sure the files will be invaluable once I'm setting up my machine ;)

More
13 May 2015 18:40 #58629 by BigJohnT
Well if you look at hardinge.hal you will see each section is labeled.

MPG section
# MPG encoder feedback
setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.03.counter-mode 0
setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.03.filter 1
setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.03.index-invert 0
setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.03.index-mask 0
setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.encoder.03.index-mask-invert 0

net mpg-count hm2_5i20.0.encoder.03.count
net mpg-count => axis.0.jog-counts
net mpg-count => axis.2.jog-counts

setp mpg-scale.in0 .000025
setp mpg-scale.in1 .00025
setp mpg-scale.in2 .0025

net mpg-x axis.0.jog-enable <= hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.gpio.054.in_not
net mpg-z axis.2.jog-enable <= hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.gpio.052.in_not

# MPG Scale
# set the MPG scale based on the inputs from the selector switch
net pos2 mpg-scale.sel0 <= hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.gpio.037.in_not
net pos3 mpg-scale.sel1 <= hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.gpio.035.in_not

net axis-mpg-jog-scale axis.0.jog-scale <= mpg-scale.out
net axis-mpg-jog-scale axis.2.jog-scale <= mpg-scale.out

Notice there are only two hal commands used 'net' and 'setp', the rest are signal names or pin names. The rather confusing [HOSTMOT2](BOARD) is a place holder for that info in the ini file.

Have a gander at the Basic Hal Tutorial in the manual.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: amhfabs

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds